Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Belt removal/Pulley question

Old 06-23-2006, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quick Belt removal/Pulley question

Ok, just a simple basic question. I want to remove my belt to verify a bad/squeeky pulley from the ac belt. In order to get to this belt, I must remove the main belt first. My question is, am I gonna need another hand to do this? I kind of just wanted to do it real quick this evening, but dont want to have to call a friend to come out to my house this evening in case I cant get the belt back on by myself. I have to wake up early to drive my car tomm. and technically it can wait if I am gonna have problems putting the main belt back on myself. Question is, hasd anyone done this by themselves? Can I do it by myself or will this require another body. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can do the main belt yourself, just take your time, align the lower pullies and everything as best you can, and get a long wrench to pull the tensioner back.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:20 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do it easily by yourself. I like to use a 3/8" ratchet, w/ 15mm socket (I think thats the size).

When putting it back on, get the belt lined up on the pulleys while holding it tight right next to the tensioner, then slip it on top of your socket, slip the socket onto the bolt, push on tensioner, slide belt on.

If you can't figure the belt rout out, there's a diagram on the driver side fender.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:29 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1 man job if you have a stock belt. If you have underdrive pulley, maybe 2.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Launching!

When I changed my a/c belt recently I just backed off the main belt tensioner and placed the belt behind the tensioner (toward the motor) then got under the car and slid the belt off the crank pulley. replaced the a/c pulley and put the main belt back on and retensioned it.
Took longer to jack the car up.

Brad
Old 08-01-2006, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

Wow, that was quite the simple process. Ok, well, it has been a while since my original posts, and I have removed and re-installed the belts now almost a dozen times. To make a long story short, I have replaced both the Ac belt tensioner and the idler pulleys and I still have the squeeky/chirp noise. I am pretty sure it is the ac pulleys, because I have already removed them and the noise was gone. Maybe I needed to drive it around more without the ac belt on, just to make sure it is actually the ac belt pulleys? Or, can it actually be a different pulley? The actual AC Compressor pulley?
Old 08-02-2006, 01:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha i thought i was the only one with this squeak!!! thank god its not only me... so is it the belt of the pulley or both? what causes it?
Old 08-02-2006, 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS4Luck
haha i thought i was the only one with this squeak!!! thank god its not only me... so is it the belt of the pulley or both? what causes it?

Well, in most cases in the past that I have heard about, it is one of the 2 pulleys connected to the AC belt. However, as I explained as far as mine goes, it is neither one of the pulleys, and the belt is new as well. I am at a delimma. The only thing that is left is the AC Compressor pulley.

Search this Thread