Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my car doing this..

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why is my car doing this..

Alright guys quick question, i just installed a cam in my LS1 SS..its a pretty decent sized cam..233/239 .595/.605 112 LSA..My question is everyone thinks it sounds really quiet, which in a way is good, but i want it to be louder. So heres my exhaust setup, i have pacesetter longtubes, and ory, into a borla catback with CME tips in place. I believe there is possibly a plate in my borla, so im thinking of trying to open it and see, or im thinking of putting a cutout in somewhere, or possibly removing the muffler all together. A buddy of mine got rid of his muffler and got something else welded in, and damn it sounded good, i dont know if it was a resonator or not, but whatever. What do u guys think i should do? I mean i can have my radio on in my car and at a stoplight i dont even hear the cam hardly, i feel it loping but can barely hear it.. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
JacobK
Old 06-24-2006, 01:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LT/ORY/anything with a resonator is gonna sound like crap with a big cam - raspy as hell. The borla is most likely quieting that thing down a lot. If you really want it louder, go with a different muffler setup, but I wouldn't recommend going to a resonator-type cat-back.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Then what do you guys recommend getting a new muffler or something like that? or should i still get a cutout?
Old 06-24-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

id like the quiet. +sleeper effect. cutout would be my pick, for the quiet or full race mode. but if you want it louder all the time id say get a louder muffler.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

what do you guys think i should get as a differnt muffler? Something louder..i was thinking maybe a corsa muffler
Old 06-24-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

i say pull the plate out of your borla and see what you think - it's on the passenger side in the rear outlet pipe

Last edited by iamsickofitall; 06-24-2006 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

theres a big difference when there is the small plate and no plate at all, i would recommend u get a electric cutout where the plates go, this way u can adjust to whatever u like
Old 06-24-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

maybe i will do that..I know its stupid..everyone is telling me to just leave it, but im picky about the sound ya know..and it sounds good, i just wish it was louder.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JacobK
Alright guys quick question, i just installed a cam in my LS1 SS..its a pretty decent sized cam..233/239 .595/.605 112 LSA..My question is everyone thinks it sounds really quiet, which in a way is good, but i want it to be louder. So heres my exhaust setup, i have pacesetter longtubes, and ory, into a borla catback with CME tips in place. I believe there is possibly a plate in my borla, so im thinking of trying to open it and see, or im thinking of putting a cutout in somewhere, or possibly removing the muffler all together. A buddy of mine got rid of his muffler and got something else welded in, and damn it sounded good, i dont know if it was a resonator or not, but whatever. What do u guys think i should do? I mean i can have my radio on in my car and at a stoplight i dont even hear the cam hardly, i feel it loping but can barely hear it.. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
JacobK
Id go with the HOOKER catback

But id be glad to trade my loudmouth for your borla