Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next upgrade need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next upgrade need advice!

..ok so here is the deal... i have a 98 z28 (ls1) that i use as my daily driver .right now i have a custom airlid, bellows, maf, intake manifold, and an exaust cutout. i have about 600 dollars saved up to spend on my car and i am looking for whatever will give me the most bang for the buck so to speak. i was thinking either headers, a programmer, 3.73 gears (i have an automatic tranny with 2.73 gears at the moment), or underdrive pulleys etc... i have also been told that a shift kit would help out alot but i havent seen too many around for sale and i dont know much about their benefits... open to all advice please make a suggestion!!!
Old 06-25-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

save up a little more so you can get a stall converter + installation, then after you get some more $$$ saved up, do gears
Old 06-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say go with a torque converter (1st choice) or some headers....just my .02¢
Old 06-25-2006, 09:43 PM
Teching In

would headers help me out more than gears as far as stoplight to stoplight or 8th mile?
Old 06-25-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

Gears will give the best sotp improvement for your limited budget. After that, save for a stall converter, the results from the stall will be even more impressive after the gears than right now. Because of the severe pita factor, I would do headers later after you do other airflow mods.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iamsickofitall
save up a little more so you can get a stall converter + installation, then after you get some more $$$ saved up, do gears
Old 06-25-2006, 10:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would consider putting the stock MAF back on.

Save for a converter and hope you tranny doesnt' take a crap on you. (yeah, I am cynical due to my experiences) It gets pricey though, I recommend the converter, trans go shift kit, tranny cooler, trans temperature gauge, subframe connectors and drag radials all be done at the same time. I also recommend a Yank or Vigilante converter.

Exhaust might go a little over your budget, but should be doable depending on what you went with. You would need headers and duals or headers, y-pipe and cat-back.

The converter will make the single biggest difference in performance. If you want to do that but it takes time to save you might consider spending a small amount right now to hold you over...something like an underdrive pulley perhaps.