Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Leak? And where I can find band clamps?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust Leak? And where I can find band clamps?

I just put on my Pacesetter LT's and TSP ORY and hooked it up to my Hooker catback. I drove it around a little and it sounds a little bit funny to me. I have no idea whats it supposed to sound like, so I don't know if there's anything wrong or not. So my question is, how do you tell if you have an exhaust leak? Do you listen for something? If you do, what?

And I am wanting to replace the U-clamps that came with the ORY with some band clamps like the ones that came to put over the end of the headers and front of the Y. Where can I find those? I went to AutoZone today and they said they didn't have them, but I don't know if the guy really knew for sure. But anyway, is there anywhere that you know I can find them? Thanks
Old 06-25-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

i get my band clamps locally at NAPA or Carquest...they may not stock them, but can get them next day
Old 06-25-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i got my bandclamps from summit, they got quite a few and ship pretty fast.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:59 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, I'll just call around a little tomorrow. How about the exhaust leak thing? How do I tell?
Old 06-25-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I put my car on jackstands, started it and just felt around for air coming out. You will also see black soot where there is a leak.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

This may sound stupid. However, when I installed my LT's and ORY pipe I too thought that I had an exhaust leak. After putting my car back on jacks I discovered that air was not leaking anywhere. So, then I had a machanic sit in the car with me and he said that it sounded normal for LT's. He said that it just sounds that way because more air is being pushed through the LT's and exhaust. I have come to except his answer and ignore it now.
If you have an actual leak around the manifold and heads it is extremely noticeable. It would sound as if it were fluttering. If that makes sense?
Old 06-26-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crazychucky8
If you have an actual leak around the manifold and heads it is extremely noticeable. It would sound as if it were fluttering. If that makes sense?
not only that, there's a high probability it would be backfiring too

a lazier way to check for exhaust leaks would be to seafoam the topend of the motor...as the seafoam cleans the topend, a whole bunch of white smoke will pour out the exhaust and it'll sneak out of the leaks and be visible. this works good if you have a relatively new exhaust system that hasn't had time to have carbon build up where the leaks are - or you are just too lazy to jack the car up and feel along the pipes at every clamp

Quick Reply: Exhaust Leak? And where I can find band clamps?