Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo catback- quiet and stright through. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default turbo catback- quiet and stright through. Ideas?

It will obviously need to support a decent amount of power, but i dont want to put a cutout on unless i have to. Would like it to be a stright through type of exhaust, but i want it much quieter than my true duel/cam setup
Old 06-26-2006, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

Well for being quiet and good flow I'd say go with the SLP dual/dual. Magnaflow and hooker are pretty quiet driving normally, but scream at WOT.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:53 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mufflex catback would make a decent one.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I've heard mixed reviews about the mufflex catback, even the 4" one.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:29 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

The 4" is the one I was talking about actually. The fittament is good on stock height vehicles.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LSONE
It will obviously need to support a decent amount of power, but i dont want to put a cutout on unless i have to. Would like it to be a stright through type of exhaust, but i want it much quieter than my true duel/cam setup
So is this for a turbo setup?

If so what level of boost and bhp will it be at.

Exhaust is all about flow and most turbo setup's will be pushing past the operational envilope of a 3" Y pipe.

It was reckoned that the stock muffler on a CME exhaust was costing someone in the region of 70bhp on a single turbo setup on a 346ci.

A cutout would have helped, but the tubing was also a restriction.

If you plan on making over 500rwhp then 3.5" Y pipe or 2.5" duals are a minimal requirement IMO.

Stainlees Works makes a 3.5" catback, but I have no idea how good the muffler is. A cutout may well be benifical.

Either that or you need to look at a custom system. 3.5" core bullet mufflers would work. You'd probably need to go Borla XR-1 Race muffler, as most bullets only go to 3" cores as maximum. To keep the noise down you'd want two mufflers I would think as one would be very loud.

Same goes for 2.5" duals, but you could drop down to 3" core bullets such as magnaflow. Or Powerstick chambered mufflers.

Personally if you want BIG power then a 3" dual setup is the only way to go. But dumping before the axle will be noisey and going past the axle with 3" duals isn't easy although not impossible.

If you plan on wanting CATS, you'll need nothing less than 3" core Metal Matrix ones from Random Technology or Magnaflow.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:02 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Either that or you need to look at a custom system. 3.5" core bullet mufflers would work. You'd probably need to go Borla XR-1 Race muffler, as most bullets only go to 3" cores as maximum. To keep the noise down you'd want two mufflers I would think as one would be very loud.
So you are saying the 3.5" and BIGGER dynomax bullets only have a 3" core? I doubt it but thats weird if its true.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ninetres
So you are saying the 3.5" and BIGGER dynomax bullets only have a 3" core? I doubt it but thats weird if its true.
I dunno about Dynomax, I never looked at them to be honest. But most of the bullets I've looked at seem only to have a 3" core as the biggest option.

On a dual setup this is plenty of flow for even extreme setups, but on a Y pipe design it may be restrictive.

Borla XR-1 race mufflers come in larger 3.5" cores.

The best thing to do is check with each manufacturer, it's normally on their website.

EDIT: don't confues the over all diameter with the core diamter. Magnalfow offer 4" round bullet mufflers, but they are 3" core with 1" of packing. Same goes for their 6" round mufflers, 3" core and 3" packing.

Last edited by 300bhp/ton; 06-26-2006 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
The 4" is the one I was talking about actually. The fittament is good on stock height vehicles.
Yeah it looks pretty good, but in the FI forum they often complain about how bad it flows, still if you could get a 4" cutout it would give great flow due to the 4" piping yet probably be quite civil when shut.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

What size is your downpipe? That might help determine what size exhaust you would need.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i vote SLP dual/dual

sounds
Old 06-26-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being Turbo'd helps with being quiet, hooker or something to that effect would probably sound completely stock
Old 06-26-2006, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Stainlees Works makes a 3.5" catback, but I have no idea how good the muffler is."

Pretty good. They also make a 3.5" catback straight thru with a 3.5" core. I have one for sale (muffler only, no i-pipe or tail pipes).
Old 06-26-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll be running a 3'' dp for the time being, until hi flo gets their 4'' dp working right, then i will switch. I have the 4'' mufflex now, but as was posted previously, i've heard mixed reviews, and would rather not risk it. I've been told magnaflow flows great up through 800hp, so that is always an option, but i didnt know how loud it would be. Also, gmmg is a great exhaust system, fairly stright through, but i am unsure as to how loud it would be. Hooker exhaust would be quiet, but i dont know how well it would flow. To be honest, any type of custom duel setup would probably be more of a pain in the *** then its worth, as finding shops that can do good exhaust work in this area is hard to find. Running a dumped dp with either borla or bullet mufflers would probably be best for poser, but i'm sick of the noise level from my current dual setup and i doubt it would change much. as for power, for now i'm looking for about 550 rwhp at 8 or 9 psi.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:48 AM
TECH Addict

At that level of performance I would be very tempted to:

a) get a cutout for your mufflex
b) run duals, pref 3" but 2.5" would be ok'ish

IMO dropping down to a 3" catback system will prove very restrictive on such a setup. Also I suspect mufflers like the Hooker Areochamber will effectively choke the exhaust. They are not straight thru types and tend to flow considerably less than bullets.

I'd be tempted to run an X pipe with 3" core Powersticks (as long a muffler as you can fit in there) off of the X pipe and along the car next to the propshaft. Over the axle and run a small bullet muffler per bank on each side of the car.

If you need CATS then 3" Metal Matrix ones between the headers and X pipe.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:51 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

4" was really civil when I had it. I did have some lowend problems. I have some pics of it somewhere. I will post up the custom Y and collector.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:59 AM
Staging Lane

There are a couple of local turbo guys that run the 2OTL. They both seem to like it and have made good numbers.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am running a 3'' fownpipe, so i wont be running either a y pipe or duals. if anything i would get a boost activated cutout, atleast that should remain consistant. I've heard 2otl sounds nice, but i would prefer something with tips on both sides to fill out the bumper on the ta
Old 06-27-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

if you do the STS rear mounted turbo you don't have to worry about a muffler
Old 06-27-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wannafbody
if you do the STS rear mounted turbo you don't have to worry about a muffler
not only would that kit accomplish none of my performance or exhaust goals (slow/loud), but i wouldn't buy it if it was the only turbo kit made for your cars. The kit is severely limited, works poorly in the rain (in some instances), has poor ground clearance, frequent oiling problems, and overpriced for what it is. also, running open DP would essentially sound the same as the sts kit, and it still wouldnt fill both exhaust exits like i said i wanted to.

back on topic, sounds like magnaflow is where it's at, proven up to 800ish hp.