Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 04-25-2016, 04:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

True Duals, questions answered here. Post YOUR information and pics too!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ravensfan
What is the absolute quietest muffler you can put on your TD's? I have the TSP system with spiral flows and can not stand the interior noise.
Like stated above, running them out back will tone it down in the cabin considerably.

If that's not an option look into getting some cats installed. In terms of quiet mufflers, the Sweet Thunders are condered one of the more "quiet" mufflers for TD setups.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grifter
Like stated above, running them out back will tone it down in the cabin considerably.

If that's not an option look into getting some cats installed. In terms of quiet mufflers, the Sweet Thunders are condered one of the more "quiet" mufflers for TD setups.
Uummmm, I had the TSP true duals on my 02 TA and had the Sweet Thunders and I can tell you that they are no where near quiet, soft or any other word that doesn't mean LOAD AS HELL!!!!!! My g/f back then knew I was coming from blocks away.....and I did NOT drive it hard near her place as there was always kids and cops around. :\
Old 09-24-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Uummmm, I had the TSP true duals on my 02 TA and had the Sweet Thunders and I can tell you that they are no where near quiet, soft or any other word that doesn't mean LOAD AS HELL!!!!!! My g/f back then knew I was coming from blocks away.....and I did NOT drive it hard near her place as there was always kids and cops around. :\
Yes I know, hence the quotes around quiet. But compared to the other mufflers offered with the TSP TD's they are considered the most tame. If you're looking for a quiet exhaust, don't look at TD's.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Has anybody tried to run true duals with flowmaster 40 series mufflers? One of my friends has a mustang and it sounds real nice, not like any other mustang I've heard. Also, how do borla xr-1 mufflers sound?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dutchesscamaro
After completing our 455 cu. in. LS1 build, (another story) we wanted a 3" Stainless, true dual exhaust system, over the axle, with cats, and X-pipe.

We decided on KOOKS Custom Headers, on Long Island, NY, for the custom installation.
We met with George R at KOOKS and he designed the perfect system for us which included the above plus resonators, twin mufflers and Corsa tips.
The installation was done flawlessly with exceptional weld quality and incredible workmanship. Pictured below are some of the build and install photos.

We would like to thank Mr. Goerge KOOK, George R., George Jr., Larry and Geronimo for the time, effort and hospitality that was given to us while we were at KOOKS.

The sound is exactly what we wanted. The exhaust sound is deep, not raspy and is totally awesome.

If you would like additional pics send PM.

IF you are considering a system such as this, I would strongly recommend contacting George R. at KOOK Custom Headers.
i saw this car in gmhtp and i was in love with the setup ever since. ive accually went to kooks to price it out and of course it was out of my range but it looks absolutly amazing

great job
Old 09-27-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes I know, hence the quotes around quiet. But compared to the other mufflers offered with the TSP TD's they are considered the most tame. If you're looking for a quiet exhaust, don't look at TD's.
Sorry, my internet sarcasm sensor is on the blink and I must have missed the quotes.......my bad.

I must have received bad info as people I talked to here (and on other sites) told me the Sweet Thunders were some of the loudest for the TSP setup.....I guess it all a matter of personal comfort/taste/etc. And you are right, if it is quiet you want, TD's are the wrong way to go.
Originally Posted by 94BlackSSClone
Has anybody tried to run true duals with flowmaster 40 series mufflers? One of my friends has a mustang and it sounds real nice, not like any other mustang I've heard. Also, how do borla xr-1 mufflers sound?
Every car I have had that had a Flowmaster 40 series muffler (or two) on has sounded awesome, although I have read some things on other boards that leads me to believe they don't flow as well and are more restrictive to be able to attain that sweet sound. So if flow characteristics are your main concern, I would not pick a Flowmaster, if sound is all you care about, then it is hard to go wrong with those. I know my '68 Camaro RS sounded amazing with a pair of those in the TD setup.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got these installed today and will have the duals in hopefully tomorrow.
Name:  100_1074.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  67.6 KB

Name:  driversheaderclearance.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  64.7 KB

Old 10-07-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Sorry, my internet sarcasm sensor is on the blink and I must have missed the quotes.......my bad.

I must have received bad info as people I talked to here (and on other sites) told me the Sweet Thunders were some of the loudest for the TSP setup.....I guess it all a matter of personal comfort/taste/etc. And you are right, if it is quiet you want, TD's are the wrong way to go.
It's all good. I had Dynomax Bullet's and they were loud. I heard that the Sweet Thunders were the most tame, maybe I read wrong.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

It's all good. I had Dynomax Bullet's and they were loud. I heard that the Sweet Thunders were the most tame, maybe I read wrong.
It is all probably subjective once you go true dual.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

mine
Old 10-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Launching!

I am ordering TSP true duals and QTP headers with HVMC. How do I bolt the headers up to the exhaust? Here is a pic of the system im getting (its used). http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...arParts024.jpg http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...arParts023.jpg Thanks for the help.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

that setup hasent even been used. the hangars are still wrapped in bubble wrap. but, it looks like someone had it welded up to stock manifolds like they had pipes between the two.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:57 PM
12 Second Club

have been thinking of selling the borla and ypipe to do some duals.... i want to do 3inch back from the pacesetter headers into an x pipe and bullet dumps. here my question and really didn't get any answers. i have double diamond sfc.... is duals going to work or will just have to be real custom?
Old 11-08-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am in the process of getting my TDs put on... what will sound better with my setup??

pacesetters lt's w/ 3" sweet thunder chamber mufflers

Custom X pipe or H pipe
Old 11-08-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DarkhorSe_SS
I am in the process of getting my TDs put on... what will sound better with my setup??

pacesetters lt's w/ 3" sweet thunder chamber mufflers

Custom X pipe or H pipe
I believe on the F-Body cars, an X-pipe is THE way to go. Something about backpressure that the LSx motors love/need. And those Sweet Thunders are I had em on my TD setup and DAMN were they loud/sexy sounding.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Ordered 3'' true dual kit made by Flowmaster all mandrel bends
custom X pipe Flowmaster single chamber race mufflers with Mecham power ovals...all camera phone pics.
Attached Thumbnails True Duals, questions answered here. Post YOUR information and pics too!-0501071205.jpg   True Duals, questions answered here. Post YOUR information and pics too!-0502070948.jpg   True Duals, questions answered here. Post YOUR information and pics too!-ex1.jpg   True Duals, questions answered here. Post YOUR information and pics too!-ex2.jpg   True Duals, questions answered here. Post YOUR information and pics too!-ex3.jpg  

True Duals, questions answered here. Post YOUR information and pics too!-ex4.jpg   True Duals, questions answered here. Post YOUR information and pics too!-ex6.jpg  
Old 11-09-2007, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hawk#153
Ordered 3'' true dual kit made by Flowmaster all mandrel bends
custom X pipe Flowmaster single chamber race mufflers with Mecham power ovals...all camera phone pics.
Hawk, is this an actual kit by flowmaster or is this something you custom made?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kirby's hawk
Hawk, is this an actual kit by flowmaster or is this something you custom made?
the tubing itself was a kit from Flowmaster "U-fit Dual Kit" $220 wich included an H crossover pipe, that I never used. I ordered the mufflers seperate and the X pipe is custom.The mufflers are now painted flat black on the bottom half so they dont stick out like a sore thumb. I am 100% satisfied with the set up,the pictures do it no justice. The sound I am pleased with,there is nothing quiet about it and if you do not want attention drawn to you then I would not reccomend this setup.
oh yeah you will need a BMR relocation kit to make room for the BIG *** pipes over the axle

Last edited by Hawk#153; 11-09-2007 at 10:10 AM. Reason: for got about relocation kit
Old 11-09-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hawk#153
the tubing itself was a kit from Flowmaster "U-fit Dual Kit" $220 wich included an H crossover pipe, that I never used. I ordered the mufflers seperate and the X pipe is custom.The mufflers are now painted flat black on the bottom half so they dont stick out like a sore thumb. I am 100% satisfied with the set up,the pictures do it no justice. The sound I am pleased with,there is nothing quiet about it and if you do not want attention drawn to you then I would not reccomend this setup.
oh yeah you will need a BMR relocation kit to make room for the BIG *** pipes over the axle
That's bitchen to know. This is the first 3" mandrel bent tru dual over axle system thats out there, isnt it? Good price too. will work well with my power sticks. Where did you buy it?
Old 11-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
That's bitchen to know. This is the first 3" mandrel bent tru dual over axle system thats out there, isnt it? Good price too. will work well with my power sticks. Where did you buy it?
Dont get confused, it was not easy and took some fabbing to make it work and not any ond exhaust shop will do something like this nor would I let them try it. I had a custom exhaust guy fab it up for me. A setup like this is costly but worth it.

Quick Reply: True Duals, questions answered here. Post YOUR information and pics too!