Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove T-stat For Ewp???

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Remove T-stat For Ewp???

i recently installed a electric waterpump in hopes to bring down my coolant temps....

i guess becuase its really hot in florida my car seems to stay about 200 deg. even with both fans running and a 160t-stat and a ewp..

to further improve cooling i was wondering if i could just remove the t-stat completly?

1: would this help or hurt cooling?
2: what side effects would result from doing this (ie. engine may take a little longer to heat up)
Old 06-26-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you drill the t-stat? It's hot as hell in texas and my car never breaks 170 with an ewp
Old 06-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpr5690
i recently installed a electric waterpump in hopes to bring down my coolant temps....

i guess becuase its really hot in florida my car seems to stay about 200 deg. even with both fans running and a 160t-stat and a ewp..

to further improve cooling i was wondering if i could just remove the t-stat completly?

1: would this help or hurt cooling?
2: what side effects would result from doing this (ie. engine may take a little longer to heat up)
lol what year is your car dood? if you have a 99-02, the temp gauge is a dummy and will ALWAYS, ALWAYS stay about a millimeter before 210* unless it's:

a.) overheating
b.) cold start

the temp gauge just shows cold, warm and overheated. only 1998's had working temperature gauges.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

no this is logged in hp tuners

and i did drill the t-stat with 2 big *** holes
Old 06-26-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

be cool rad? might help you out, in hp tune what is your fan on and off settings? you bought the street pump right?
Old 06-26-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

yep...fans are set to turn on at 170

i just remved the t-stat and now the car idles at 176..providing i see no issues in the winter months or while driving i think the car might actually run better witout a thermostat.. they seem to be a huge restriction on the cooling system and at least with my car when the fans are off the car quickly gets up to temp....

to be more exact my car took approx 5 minutes to reach a coolant temp of 178 at which point the low speed fans cut on temp dropped to 176 and stablized with just low speed fans running.... before this i would always see high speed fans (180+) even at idle (only minutes after starting the car)
Old 06-26-2006, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jpr5690
yep...fans are set to turn on at 170

i just remved the t-stat and now the car idles at 176..providing i see no issues in the winter months or while driving i think the car might actually run better witout a thermostat.. they seem to be a huge restriction on the cooling system and at least with my car when the fans are off the car quickly gets up to temp....

to be more exact my car took approx 5 minutes to reach a coolant temp of 178 at which point the low speed fans cut on temp dropped to 176 and stablized with just low speed fans running.... before this i would always see high speed fans (180+) even at idle (only minutes after starting the car)
Weird, I would have guessed the opposite. It seems like the water wouldn't stay in the radiator long enough to cool. How is it in heavy traffic w/ the AC on full blast?
Old 06-26-2006, 10:32 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by 86 IROC
Weird, I would have guessed the opposite. It seems like the water wouldn't stay in the radiator long enough to cool. How is it in heavy traffic w/ the AC on full blast?
Wouldn't stay in the radiator long enough to cool? If slowing the water down in the radiator happened, the **** that was NOT flowing through the motor would overheat!

The thermostat is to restrict flow to/from the radiator to maintain a proper high temperature, not a proper low temperature.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

so far the car has only seen idle time (waiting on alternaor)

i will update my results once i get everything backtogether but the preliminaries look promising
Old 06-26-2006, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

You sure your radiator isn't clogged?
Old 06-27-2006, 06:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Wouldn't stay in the radiator long enough to cool? If slowing the water down in the radiator happened, the **** that was NOT flowing through the motor would overheat!

The thermostat is to restrict flow to/from the radiator to maintain a proper high temperature, not a proper low temperature.
Obviously, but the coolant in the radiator would be cooled by the air passing through the fins. If there isn't a slight restriction, the coolant just runs in a constant loop. That's what I was asking about. No need to get all excited because someone asked a question.

My truck runs hot in traffic with the air on, or at highway speeds above 80 MPH. The previous owner removed the t-stat. I've flushed and refilled the cooling system thinking it was blocked. My next step is to get unlazy and install a new t-stat.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:57 PM
10 Second Club

You may have had a bad T-stat to begin with. Nothing wrong with taking it out but really should not hurt having it in either. I run pretty cool (170-175) with a T-stat which just lets it get warmer faster on cooler days. When you think about it, those two holes in the T-stat allow water to move through anyway, just at a lesser extent. Now thats it's removed, I say just leave it, won't hurt anything.

Dan
Old 06-27-2006, 03:10 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by 86 IROC
Obviously, but the coolant in the radiator would be cooled by the air passing through the fins. If there isn't a slight restriction, the coolant just runs in a constant loop. That's what I was asking about. No need to get all excited because someone asked a question.

My truck runs hot in traffic with the air on, or at highway speeds above 80 MPH. The previous owner removed the t-stat. I've flushed and refilled the cooling system thinking it was blocked. My next step is to get unlazy and install a new t-stat.
Sorry if I came off as rude, I had no intentions of doing so.

I capitalized NOT to ward off confusion, not as in I was yelling it.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Sorry if I came off as rude, I had no intentions of doing so.

I capitalized NOT to ward off confusion, not as in I was yelling it.
Fair enough, it's quite hard to "read" people via a message board.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

I'd upgrade the radiator before I'd run without a thermostat.

Stupid question, but have you tried to flush the cooling system?
Old 06-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Tech Resident

just for the record, DO NOT REMOVE YOUR THERMOSTAT...unless you want to experience a big drop in fuel economy and have 15-17% more engine wear...

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Thermostats.html

modern engines are made to run hot. if they don't, the oil additives do not activate (heat activates the additives) and the oil sludges up, does a **** poor cleaning job, requires extra work by the oil pump to pump it (reducing oil pump life and fuel economy), and the super viscosity adds lots of wear to your engine. run the stock 186* thermostat. GM spent years engineering the proper temperature for the LS1. do not try to outsmart GM by reading the back of a t-stat box.

your engine likes 200 degrees. it's what it was made to run at. no need to adjust your fans, upgrade your radiator or lower your thermostat. all they'll do is hurt fuel mpg and wear your engine down. these aren't muscle cars from the 60's that were engineered to run a lot cooler. modern cars of today need heat (modern cars have strict emissions standards and are engineered to run HOT since emissions are less, engines in the 60's ran good cool because they were designed to run cool since there were no emissions laws). if you love your car, let the fans run stock and leave the t-stat stock (unless you're running high compression, FI, serious nitrous setups, all that good stuff).
Old 06-30-2006, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
I'd upgrade the radiator before I'd run without a thermostat.

Stupid question, but have you tried to flush the cooling system?
Why would you do that? Just curious .

Dan

Quick Reply: Remove T-stat For Ewp???