Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intake leak.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 06:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default intake leak.

how do i know if i have an intake leak. ever since i got my LS6 installed it sounds diffrent, like a a bunch of air being sucked or blown around. maybe its supposed to be like that..i dont know. any help would be great thanks.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can usually hear an intake leak, its like a hissing sound. You can also hook up to a scanner and see if the computer is adding lots of fuel, which may indicate an intake leak. I really didnt notice a new sound when i got my LS6 intake, when i installed a lid though you can notice a more whoosing sound.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Launching!

As brad8266 mentioned, scan it and you will know immediately. If you have any leaks after the MAF your STFT and eventually LTFT will be very high. Your leak will be adding unmetered air causing the car to run lean -- most noticeably at idle.

I lost my EGR seal when doing my LT install and my friend who reinstalled the EGR pipe didn't notice it gone. The car wouldn't idle right and when I autotapped it the STFT were between + 15 & 20 with the LTFT going to +25 at idle. Searched around and could hear the leak at the EGR pipe. Popped the sucker out, put in a new seal and everything returned to normal once I reset the PCM to clear out the old FT numbers.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

I happen to have an intake leak right as we speak and i'm going to fix it with upgrading to an LS6 intake. The reason is because my car has 113k miles and my intake has been off the car several times and torqued down several times, the seals for every runner are now flat causing a leak on the left bank. The leak in turn, like mentioned above, made the computer add alot of fuel to make my car run pig rich. So rich in fact that my chrome tips are solid black after a few days. Not to mention, I have an SES code of some sort because of the leak thats messing up my 02 sensor.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i bought a ls6 intake and am putting it on, should i buy new gaskets or re use them, they look to be in good shape
Old 06-27-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buy new ones dont take chances on a few dollar parts
Old 06-27-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just did an LS6 as well. I hear that hissing sound. I have a scanner and have been checking codes to see if I have any map codes. I have !egr, !air, and no cat's. All those codes I know I have but i just started getting P1153 bank 2 fuel control shifted lean. I am not sure if this is a problem or if it is just a different sound with a better flowing intake. I shaved the bottom of the intake so i could leave the line running under the intake. I also put new gaskets on so i am not sure if i to have a leak and that is why i am getting that code.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:02 PM
11 Second Club

Another easy way is to spray Non-chlorine carb cleaner around the intake such as EGR/A.I..R/TB/Injectors/Map Sensor/Bolts and check your vacuum line again on the back of the intake. If the car free revs after spraying the cleaner then you have a leak and need to reseal that area. Good luck.