Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help, Pulleys?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help, Pulleys?

Okay, so when i bought my car, the previous owner had Whisper pulley(s). A Crankshaft pulley, and one other small one, that is about the size as the tensioner pulley, i'm guessing that's where it goes. Well, I really want to install these, and need some info...All i have is these two pulleys and i believe an extra crank pulley bolt. What do i need to install these things, and where exactly does this second pulley go.(If it's the tensioner pulley, it should spin freely, but there's just the solid pulley, so if i tighten it, it's not gonna spin free.) Also, i know i need a puller, but how do i hold the crank? From the flywheel? I am doing this on two jackstands? Any hep is good help, thanks guys?
Old 06-27-2006, 07:32 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need a 3-jaw puller which you can "rent" from Autozone. I say "rent" because you'll get all your money back when you're done. You also need a slightly longer than stock bolt or a threaded rod w/ a nut. A big *** wrench w/ breaker bar from hell also.

LS1howto.com, check out the camswap section.

As for the pullies themselves, post up a picture? The smaller pulley does not go on the tensioner, it probably goes on the alternator. Go outside an see if it is smaller or larger than your existing alternator pulley. If it is SMALLER it will charge MORE and decrease some of your gains from the UD crank pulley.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, The small pulley is identified as an alternator pulley. That's all i got so far, and pretty sure one of the bolts i have is longer cause i have two. Also, i will be renting from autozone the puller, what else do i need, Do i need the tool that 618HAWK Sells?
Old 06-28-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, Anybody Put some pulleys on? If so, anybody know which A/C Belt i need. Mine's way too big now, I got a set odf whisper pulleys? Thanks to anyone who can tell me
Old 06-28-2006, 11:46 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, I've never heard of a "Whisper pulley", so I'd verify that it's LS1 specific before you start pulling stuff apart.

That tool is awesome. You'll need a 24mm deep socket with a 1/2" drive breaker bar to remove/install the pulley bolt.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

okay, done!! Pulleys on and now all i need is proper a/c belt... anybody know! the pulleys are from slp i believe
Old 06-29-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I got a flutter at around 4500 rpm's. Could this be from the pulley not being completely straight, or did i just not notice it earlier? If it's caused by pulley, could it cause wear on the crank or just live with it?