Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slp header(ticking)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default slp header(ticking)

I just installed slp long tubes on my 2000. I replaced the manifold with an ls6 manifold as well. the car also has the cats and y-pipe from slp. I don't know if it matters but the guy I bought them from said there is some kind of block off plate you can buy to prevent this. I have checked all the header bolts and everything is good, but that ticking sound is really annoying because it sounds like a minor exhaust leak. It also seems to quiet down somewhat as it warms up. thanks.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

Did you keep the emissions, or did you get the race style LTs w/o the egr/air fittings? B/c if you kept the emissions and you are positive that its not an exhaust leak, then its most likely your check valves. They will give you a ticking sound similar to an exhaust leak if you don't have block off plates.

Last edited by Z28LS1KID; 06-27-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

yep we ditched all that stuff. Were can I get these plates?
Old 06-27-2006, 09:30 PM
12 Second Club

I went with race style LTs, so I'm not sure where you can buy them. But I know that some people bought them from certain sponsors on this site. Maybe someone will chime in. BUT you don't have to buy them, alot of people make the block off plates themselves since its pretty easy.
This is from ls1camaro.net :

Just grab some RTV sealant, some tin snips, and some 22ga cold rolled steel. Cut out two pieces of metal with 1/2" holes on either side to bolt up to the holes. You can use the AIR piping you removed as a trace. Here is an example:

Put some RTV sealant on them as pictured, then bolt them into place. They only require 18 ft/lbs so don't go nuts.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

thanks. that definitely helps so much.