Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pacesetter mid-tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 06:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pacesetter mid-tube headers

I am interested in headers and and a catback system, but live in Massachusetts with strict emissions requirements.

I asked this question on Z28.com and they were useless, so here goes again:

Anyone know anything about these pacesetter mid-tubes?? Are they going to be a significant improvement over the stock manifolds?

I would like to keep my stock cat's due to limited funds.

Finally, I am not looking to have an EXTREMELY loud setup, I am mainly looking for quality sounds and some power gain, I was planning to go with magnaflow cat back.

Let me know what you all think.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:19 AM
Board Certified Idiot

Living there.. would still Think you could Get away with their LT as long as they are the emmishions set. With AIR/EGR & a TSP catted Y

As For MID headers.. I think MAC & JAB make the best MID LEnght Headers that will YEILD you any Results for the $$$
Old 06-29-2006, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Ok, I checked that out and it appears to be a very affordable option. I assume I would be able to use the stock cats? Also I can not find much detail about the headers that would come in this package.

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=181&catid=8

P.S. - I am bored out of my mind at work and have nothing better to do than check this site every 10 minutes.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

No you cant use the stock cats, I belive they are just to large to take the place of those, however you could probably use the stock cats if you went to a muffler shop and had them bend a custom pipe. But that would cost more anyways.
The headers that come in the package are great, I would be willing to bet that the majority of the guys on this site use them, they are very affordable as you can see and put out great power just lie the more expensive headers. Highly recomended
Old 06-29-2006, 09:36 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pacesetter mid-tubes are shorties. they are a waste of money. you will pass emissions with LT's and a catted-y. the only thing you will fail is visual since your cats get moved. if you do not do visual, you will pass with LT's.

get LT's or get nothing IMO. shorties are only very beneficial if you're revving to 9000rpm's. an LS1 would explode doing that.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Good things to know, thanks. However I am a little confused now. The headers and TSP catted Y-pipe set that they offer obviously doesnt include cat's, and my stock ones won't fit, then what do I use? That makes the procedure significantly more expensive.

On another note, after today's research this is what I was hoping to do:

Pacesetter LT's
TSP catted Y
Stock cats
Magnaflow catback

I'm just getting started with the mod process, so thanks for bearing with me.

Any opinions how this would all work together?
Old 06-29-2006, 10:02 AM
11 Second Club

the TSP Catted Y includes two high flow magnaflow Cats already in the y-pipe. The cats will be located directly off the headers

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=189&catid=45
Old 06-29-2006, 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

Catted y means w/cats.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by KC21386
he headers and TSP catted Y-pipe set that they offer obviously doesnt include cat's
silly goose, of course the catted-y has cats, that's what CAT-ted y means. for $700 you get the headers, y pipe and cats for it already bolted in. you get it all, baby. this is one of those deals that isn't too good to be true. it's just a flat out good deal. they're awesome quality headers for the price paid. you'll love them and pass the sniffer no problem assuming your car runs normally.

don't worry about not knowing everything about modding. that's what we're here for. if you got a question, no matter how dumb you may think it is, ask it. that's what we're here for. i sure as hell don't know everything and neither does anyone else, but together, we all know damn near everything you'll ever need to know.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

WOW that is an even better deal than I thought. I was thinking catted just meant they are made to fit cats, but didnt come with them.

That should be pretty nice then, with mostly all magnaflow components.

Any recommendations as to where to buy the magnaflow catback? i saw it for $454 shipped in a few places, can i do better?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:35 AM
Tech Resident

try www.ls1speed.com and www.ws6store.com

they have good prices and i believe they both carry it. i'm not a very big fan of magnaflow. with a catted-y i'd recommend GMMG, but to each his own. don't just go out and buy a catback, go to www.ls1sounds.com and listen around. and internet sound clips are partial liars, so try and find people with the exhaust setup nearby so you can hear it in person.

Quick Reply: Pacesetter mid-tube headers