Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not just another GMMG post...

Old 06-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not just another GMMG post...

I have searched far and wide for answers, but I couldn't find any simple explanations. I have already ordered a GMMG exhaust for my 2002 Camaro Z28. But my parents are making me cancel the order mostly because of the cost. Stupidly, I told them that there are cheaper exhausts for as low as $300.

Even after showing them hundreds of press (forum) clippings praising the GMMG exhaust and they went crazy. My mom wants me to call and cancel the cashier's check while my dad doesn't care. Since I technically can't cancel anything at least until tomorrow, I want to find a good article or review from any professional website about the positive aspects of adding an exhaust.

My mom's basic arguement was "Ok, so you're paying $850 to make your car loud...when you can buy cheaper ones that will do the same thing for $300-450." To an extent, I don't blame her because she's right. I tried the whole fuel economy approach on how it will help the gas mileage and all, but she's not buying it. The official GMMG website is kind of unprofessional themselves. They have barely any specifications or details about the exhaust and what it will do to my car on paper. So basically what I need is an article about the pros and cons of an exhaust (obviously having the pros outweigh the cons). She wants a list basically, like adding the exhaust will do the following:
1) Improve gas mileage by an average of 2 mpg
2) Add 22 horsepower
3) Improve the sound of the car in terms of loudness
4) Help increase the life of my motor and other parts

Obviously, I made those stats up, but thats basically what she wants, an official list of what the exhaust will do for my car. She wants something a little more than "it makes it louder and it improves gas mileage". I searched everywhere for reviews and since there is only one manufacturer, the website itself, than it is really hard to find any good articles on it. So, can someone please help me?
Old 06-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd just tell her the order already shipped and it's too late to cancel.

of course, that's what i'd tell you to do. if i were you i'd just laugh and tell her no...but i'm a bad son...

just go through the house and make a list of all the pointless **** she has bought.

some examples may be:

-thousand dollar china set we never eat on.
-hand-stitched WELCOME door mat? we don't even have visitors!
-seriously mom, how many dozen pairs of shoes do you need?
-stainless steel cookware? humans have gone through decades with plain old iron.
-how many throw pillows can fit on a couch?

just run with it.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Pros:
1) It's stainless steel so the exhaust will likely outlive your car. The cheaper ones are generally made from mild steel and rust.

2) The whole exhaust system probably weighs less than just your stock muffler or any other aftermarket muffler for that matter (save mpg, barely)

3) It is also an appearance modification as the chamber mufflers can be seen from the rear of the car and when those bad boys are polished: bling, bling!

4) It will definately increase HP over your stock setup, but likely doesn't flow a whole lot better than some cheaper exhausts out there.

5) Sounds like pure sex from what all the bandwagoners say, I've never heard it in person though.

cons:

1) I don't have any personal experience, but judging by the experiences of others, if you add LTs and ORY, you'll get a bit of rasp and drone.

2)It cost $850

Unless you have some scientific BS to prove number 4 in your list, I wouldn't even bother. You know just as well as I do (and I'm sure your mom does too), that your engine life will probably DECREASE because your foot will be in the "happy pedal" way more often.

Good luck, and for what it's worth, I would never spend $850 on a catback.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Meh. My parents are pretty sentimental. That won't work. Thanks for trying though. Aren't there any articles out there?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Sigh. Anyone?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

just get a hooker catback
Old 06-29-2006, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss
just get a hooker catback
Too late, already ordered GMMG.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

First show her Corsa and Borla, since they are both same price range. Then id show her the GMMG ZL1. Hotrod had an online article but its no longer online. That would show that it is a professional company and they know what they are doing, as well as the quality.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess it all comes down to who is actually footing the bill for this expense. 850 bucks is a lot for any kid, so I'm guessing your parents have put forth most of the cash if not all.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:21 AM
TECH Addict

If its ordered then its ordered, just tell her thier will be a restocking fee and its basically shipped, and thats not BS b/c ALOT of places charge anywhere from 10-20% restocking fee and most places do usually ship within a day or two.

Good luck
Old 06-30-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Should I feel bad I laughed?

No really I'm a cold hearted person. Reason #1 not to ever deal with anyone when it comes to your car and mods. If the cars not in your name, hell if its even in a banks name my rule to share is DONT ******* TOUCH THE CAR.

Same about insure.

Shitty deal i'll say but if its your money you earned really don't be rude to her but say mom I earned this money I choose to spend it this way, be stand up but not stand off.

Be poltie but as someone said fancy china etc, diff strokes for diff folks.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:45 AM
Board Certified Idiot

I cant justfy paying 150$ for their Tips Or any Tips IN that matter. Unless Their Tipsare going on a TA..Its ok For a Camaro?? BLAH
Old 06-30-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

As far as the sound goes, just say it IS louder, however, it won' t attract cops' like a raspy Loud Mouth will. Just say it sounds better than stock, but not obnoxiuos enough to attract attention.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grow a pair and tell her is ordered.. done.. no refunds..
Old 06-30-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

You just have to be confident with her. Not rude or cocky, but just show her respect as you explain that you ordered it for a reason.

Yes, it makes the car louder, but that is part of the point. Will it get you 2 miles per gallon? Hell no, not even 1 mpg better. But it will help a bit at least. The construction of it is second-to-none and will last the life of the car. The exhaust note was tuned, refined, and tweaked until GMMG got the note they wanted out of it when sales began on the system. There's a reason many aftermarket companies that re-do Camaros (Berger, ZL1s, Tom Henry, Intimidator, etc) use GMMG catbacks on their cars.

Yes, it is a lot of money, especially for younger guys like ourselves. But you have to realize that you're paying just as much for the name as you are for the product itself. GMMG is like the BMW or Porsche of exhausts. You will pay for their reputation and the right to have their product.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

haha i told my parents my gmmg COST three hundred...thank god they know jack about computers or how to look up anything
Old 06-30-2006, 02:29 PM
10 Second Club

Tell her to **** off.

If I listened to my old-timey parents every time I filled them in about my latest mods, I'd be stock as a rock.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JoeyAnderson
Tell her to **** off.

If I listened to my old-timey parents every time I filled them in about my latest mods, I'd be stock as a rock.
I think it's pretty safe to asume with the issue at hand his mom will take the car away drop insure etc.

I would say thats probbly a bad idea. If you treat your folks like that and they cover you bought your car you really are a spoiled brat.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Better start mowing the yard and washing their cars. Serious *** kissing time. I'd tell them it's a good investment, People on here fight over used systems. Brandon.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

As mentioned above just tell her there will be a restocking fee and that you'll have to pay to get it shipped back. On top of that I would suggest Say 20 percent restocking is like 140 and shipping is like another 50. You are already out almost $200. Good luck though.

Search this Thread