Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound Clip of rasp

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sound Clip of rasp

I am trying to figure out what rasp sounds like. Nobody around here can tell me and I am trying to figure out if that is why my exhaust is doing. I would prefer a video clip or sound clip of someone driving while having rasp. I have had my Pacesetter's, ORY, and hooker on for a year and this rasp is starting to really **** me off. I know it should have some because of no cats but damn. It almost sounds like a psst psst psst the whole time the car is under load. Its not the tick of an exhaust leak and the pipes are welded. It is really bad if it is very hot outside then it is louder. Right now unless I get over 2,500 rpm's you can hear more of the psst pst psst then the actual exhaust and it sounds like crap. I uploaded a video my car idling and some revs. Notice how long it takes for my rev's to come back down. Intake Leak?

Video
Old 06-29-2006, 11:17 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Raspy as a bad motor scooter! It is the Ory that is doing it to you. Cams can delete alot of rasp as well as Cats.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Rasp is the old pickup truck machine gun sound that your motor makes under a load around 2500 rpm's.

Its not going away without some super quiet mufflers or cats, even on duals. I make alot of exhaust systems and its there with duals but if they are dumped then it covers it up a good bit.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

More like a 50's era third world stake truck trying to make it up a hill on five cylinders. Sorry, I watch too many old movies!
Old 06-30-2006, 01:00 AM
Banned

i think that sounds normal ?.. every ls1 i hear sounds like that if not worse..

I personally like it . Its was gives ls1's there name.. i came from a 01 gt with longtubes, cats and slp catback.. And i could never make my car sound as mean as an ls1, so i bought one lol..
Old 06-30-2006, 01:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Lethal_Ws6
i think that sounds normal ?.. every ls1 i hear sounds like that if not worse..

I personally like it . Its was gives ls1's there name.. i came from a 01 gt with longtubes, cats and slp catback.. And i could never make my car sound as mean as an ls1, so i bought one lol..
Most people, if looking for the best sound they could get, would go with the opposite order in terms of cars that you've had. Mustangs have possibly the best sound ever.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
Most people, if looking for the best sound they could get, would go with the opposite order in terms of cars that you've had. Mustangs have possibly the best sound ever.
Oh no, i realize that, because ive spent tons of checks on exhaust setups on my cammed 01 gt .. but thats the thing.. thats all there good for . is making them sound good LOL.. i had stage 2 p&p heads,stage 3 cams,longtubes, and the bottle ha ha .. no where near as fast as an ls1 with the same mods. with half the money in it ..
Old 06-30-2006, 04:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
I'd disagree on that one. I know it's personal and I also know Mustangs can sound good, but the NEVER EVER sound like a OHV push rod V8, which for some (me included) is the best soud there is.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:57 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah I figured. Anyone know what Catted Y will bolt up to the pacesetters. Also anyone ever welded cats into an ORY. I just can't see spending 500-600 bucks on a Y-pipe just for 2 High Flow cats. If I get the random tech or other high flow cats would you say it would cut the rasp down to almost nothing. I know there will always be some and I think the exhaust sounds better through cats anyways just didn't have the money at the time. Also do you think it is bad that when I rev it I get no black smoke or smoke at all. This motor has 170K miles on it and it is the only LS1 I have seen that doesn't blow smoke out it's *** when you REV it. Potential problem or just damned good maintenance?
Old 06-30-2006, 08:40 AM
Board Certified Idiot

Originally Posted by *98Formula*
Yeah I figured. Anyone know what Catted Y will bolt up to the pacesetters. Also anyone ever welded cats into an ORY. I just can't see spending 500-600 bucks on a Y-pipe just for 2 High Flow cats. If I get the random tech or other high flow cats would you say it would cut the rasp down to almost nothing. I know there will always be some and I think the exhaust sounds better through cats anyways just didn't have the money at the time. Also do you think it is bad that when I rev it I get no black smoke or smoke at all. This motor has 170K miles on it and it is the only LS1 I have seen that doesn't blow smoke out it's *** when you REV it. Potential problem or just damned good maintenance?

TSP catted Y