Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many people's Dual/Dual mufflers have blown the insides out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How many people's Dual/Dual mufflers have blown the insides out?

I've always heard a couple people here or there saying that they've gone through Dual/Dual mufflers because they blow the inside packing out. They said it just looks like little whispy strands of cotton. I guess I never thought mine did it because I don't have tips on my system and it would all just end up on the ground. But today I did a test fit on my CME tips and started the car to let it idle for a bit. After only maybe 20 seconds of idling, the inside edges of my CME tips already had a bunch of little chunks of muffler packing stuck inside them.

Is there any fix for this or has anyone gotten anything from SLP as a result of it?

Also, do you know which Magnaflow muffler will directly swap into place of the Dual/Dual one?
Old 06-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think SLP still makes the dual/dual muffer. i know they discontinued their system but when i checked a week or two ago they still had the muffler listed...at least i think it was the muffler?
Old 06-30-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i think SLP still makes the dual/dual muffer. i know they discontinued their system but when i checked a week or two ago they still had the muffler listed...at least i think it was the muffler?
They have one called their "replacement muffler", but it's actually the 2OTL muffler. I know because I have a brand new one of them sitting in my closet from a guy who wanted to order the Dual/Dual muffler and was sent this "replacement".

If the Dual/Dual mufflers blow through time after time (as I've heard, but didn't know if it was true), I'll just put a Magnaflow in its place. I know their mufflers are amazing quality and sound great with LTs and ORY.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn son, if you still like the way that it sounds, who cares what it looks like on the inside of the muffler?!?!
Old 06-30-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

the muffler part of the dual/dual is what they have absolutely none of...you may still be able to get the i pipe and over the axle piece - i got them a week ago
Old 06-30-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about getting one off a salvaged SS..the stock muffler is almost the same right?
Old 06-30-2006, 01:27 PM
Tech Resident

isn't the 2OTL muffler very similar to the dual/dual muffler? you should be able to just swap it right in right?
Old 06-30-2006, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

No problems with mine so far (32K miles).
Old 06-30-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gearhead1
Damn son, if you still like the way that it sounds, who cares what it looks like on the inside of the muffler?!?!

Not necessarily what the inside of the muffler looks like. I could care less about how it looks. It's just the fact that the stuff coming out means the muffler is gradually falling apart!

Originally Posted by BitViper
How about getting one off a salvaged SS..the stock muffler is almost the same right?
No, that stock muffler was manufactured by GM and flows very poorly, just like the stock Z28 exhausts.

isn't the 2OTL muffler very similar to the dual/dual muffler? you should be able to just swap it right in right?
Nope.

Many people think that they are the same, or at least similar, due to the fact that their outside appearances are somewhat similar. This is only because they were made by SLP, who obviously finishes the outside of their mufflers in the same manner. The Dual/Dual muffler has completely different internals and different flow path. It is a crossflow-style muffler, meaning it re-routes the exhaust inside the muffler to allow some to pass out the driver's side and the rest out the passenger side. It has an inlet on the right side, then and outlet on each side to retain dual exhaust appearance. The 2OTL is a straight-through muffler and has no crossflow characteristics. Plus, it has an inlet on the right, but both outlets on the left (hence the name, 2 On The Left).
Old 06-30-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

swappage is not possible...the 2otl muffler has an inlet on the passenger side and two outlets on the driver side...you can see right through it
Old 06-30-2006, 02:24 PM
Tech Resident

meh, sell it and get gmmg then. do the smart thing

that's what i'd do. i'd buy the gmmg, unbolt my dual/dual, put the dual/dual tips on the gmmg and sell the dual/dual with the $700 style tips.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z

Not necessarily what the inside of the muffler looks like. I could care less about how it looks. It's just the fact that the stuff coming out means the muffler is gradually falling apart!
Isn't that just fiberglass packing for sound absorbtion? The muffler is 100% stainless. If you're just blowing the packing out but it still sounds the way you want, (and I KNOW you went through a bunch of exhausts to get where you are ) then what's the difference. It's not like it's going to start blowing chunks of stainless out and self destruct!! (Although, with your luck......)
Old 06-30-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

meh, sell it and get gmmg then. do the smart thing

that's what i'd do. i'd buy the gmmg, unbolt my dual/dual, put the dual/dual tips on the gmmg and sell the dual/dual with the $700 style tips.
GMMG would be sweet, but I'm good with what I have right now.

My Dual/Dual system doesn't have tips because I bought it without them. That's okay though, because my CME valence is in the shop getting painted and the tips have been polished and are ready to go on as soon as the valence comes back.

Originally Posted by Gearhead1
Isn't that just fiberglass packing?? The muffler is 100% stainless. If you're just blowing the packing out but it still sounds the way you want, (and I KNOW you went through a bunch of exhausts to get where you are ) then what's the difference. It's not like it's going to start blowing chunks of stainless out and self destruct!! (Although, with your luck......)
It should just be fiberglass. It still sounds great and I know that the stainless steel isn't going to blow out, so it will be on the car for quite a while still.

Yeah, I did go through a decent number of exhausts , but they're all sold now.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:16 PM
Launching!

how long does it take for the muffler to start breaking down? I'm running it now with lts and it shows no signs of falling apart
Old 06-30-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

My first LS1 with a SLP CME started blowing the packing out After I installed my FLP LT's at 6K miles. The car I have now I bought used with the SLP D&D cat back has never had that problem.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SmaknaSS
My first LS1 with a SLP CME started blowing the packing out After I installed my FLP LT's at 6K miles. The car I have now I bought used with the SLP D&D cat back has never had that problem.
Yeah, I don't think I had this problem until I added the LTs and ORY. Damn muffler can't handle a little extra exhaust flow.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

My stock DD blew out soon after adding LTs ORY and my first cam. I bought a new one off Ebay and it lasted 6K miles before it began puking it's guts. Found a used one off Ebay for $20 and it lasted a couple thousand before it went. It's very noticeable when they start blowing out as the sound changes and your tips look like a dryer lint trap. The more they blow out the more they begin to resonate and drone inside the car not to mention the exhaust becomes louder and it begins to sound like a redneck glasspack.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:48 AM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not sure if mine has got to that point yet Ive had it on for about 50-60k.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

No problems with mine, 5 years/40k.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Does magnaflow have a stainless replacement that shares the same dimensions/outlet config?