Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust with least "splatter"

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Exhaust with least "splatter"

I'm looking for an upgrade to my stock exhaust. I, unlike most, really like the sound of the stock exhaust, but want something just a tad louder and deeper. The only problem I've found with aftermarkt exhaust is you get a "splatter" sound when you rev the engine. What causes that, and is there any exhaust that doesn’t do that? I realize that there are tons of threads about exhaust already but I was unable to find one that answered this question. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2006, 05:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

If you mean the sound of the engine then NO.

A loud exhaust will be loud

www.ls1sounds.com try it
Old 07-04-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

SLP dual/dual for sure.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

THe Dual Dual is a good choice. The chokemaster (flowmaster) sounds good on stock manifolds with cats, but at the cost of some RWHP (doesnt FLOW well. Go figure). Nice deep tone though. Other than that, Even though I have the chokmaster, I would never recommend it other than a sound only application. (Replacing soon)
Old 07-04-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

hooker is awsome sounding also.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:45 AM
10 Second Club

The "splatter" is usually called raspiness which is caused by the muffler. It can be also be exaggerated with LT's and a small diameter Y pipe that bottlenecks at the connection part of the Y. Of all the catbacks I heard, I still think the Hooker sounds the best because it doesn't have that rasp; stock or with LT's.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
The "splatter" is usually called raspiness which is caused by the muffler.
no sir, the raspiness is caused by the LS1. the lack of muffler is why we can hear the raspiness (i.e. loudmouth and gmmg without cats since they lack a muffler). our motors rasp. a muffler TAKES AWAY rasp. that's why SLP dual/dual doesn't rasp much. its muffler is very good and takes it away. the dual/dual will rasp if you rev it to 4 grand on stock manifolds, at least mine does. it's not bad rasp, but on the decel it does have some imperfections.

the best thing you can do on an LS1 is to RUN CATS. ORY's sound like **** on our cars because LS1's are rasp machines. they're aluminum. they don't dampen like a big iron block mustang or LT1. we have raspy *** motors and if we want to correct that, we need to run cats or else we will see BLAT BLAT BLAT all the time. my dual/dual does not go blat blat blat. all it has is a slight pop when i shift over 4500rpm's and if i rev it to 4 grand in neutral, it has a very slight gurgling at decel although it still sounds acceptable.

LT's and a catted y will likely reduce rasp, not exaggerate it since some of the rasp is caused by the uneven factory y pipe with the big dent in the driver's side. the best thing we can do to reduce rasp is to run LT's, an aftermarket y pipe with a GOOD MERGE and most importantly RUN CATS!
Old 07-04-2006, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can also run 2 bullets in the y-pipe where cats normally go; I did that from Stainless Works and it has zero raspiness.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:37 AM
Tech Resident

in that case you may just as well run cats. you'll see the same 2 hp loss you'll see with cats and still retain the disgusting gas fumes. to me, cats are a far superior idea than bullets will ever be. you'll lose no less hp and you'll have a car that doesn't smell like gas fumes.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you lose HP with a straight thru bullet? It's just the shape of the bullet that changes the exhaust note, there's nothing inside it. Besides I have collector plates, no emissions to worry about and an awesome tune, no smelly exhaust sitting at idle.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Tech Resident

slightly changes the velocity of the exhaust. even the sound cancellation waves of a bullet can reduce the exhaust velocity. reduced exhaust velocity = less horsepower. exhaust isn't all about flow rate. it's all about velocity. if the exhaust comes in contact with a different medium or comes in contact with a sudden change in sound waves, horsepower is sacrified. how much? not too much, but really not much more than you'll lose with cats.

you guys gotta understand, exhaust isn't all about flow rate. you wanna make your exhaust exit as FAST as possible. if you put a 9" exhaust on your car, it'll have oodles of flow. it'll also drastically lose horsepower. why? the exhaust gases are leaving very slowly. the best thing you can do is choose your exhaust based on your horsepower level so it flows the fastest, not the most. too much flow can be just as bad as not enough flow.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
no sir, the raspiness is caused by the LS1. the lack of muffler is why we can hear the raspiness (i.e. loudmouth and gmmg without cats since they lack a muffler). our motors rasp. a muffler TAKES AWAY rasp. that's why SLP dual/dual doesn't rasp much. its muffler is very good and takes it away. the dual/dual will rasp if you rev it to 4 grand on stock manifolds, at least mine does. it's not bad rasp, but on the decel it does have some imperfections.

the best thing you can do on an LS1 is to RUN CATS. ORY's sound like **** on our cars because LS1's are rasp machines. they're aluminum. they don't dampen like a big iron block mustang or LT1. we have raspy *** motors and if we want to correct that, we need to run cats or else we will see BLAT BLAT BLAT all the time. my dual/dual does not go blat blat blat. all it has is a slight pop when i shift over 4500rpm's and if i rev it to 4 grand in neutral, it has a very slight gurgling at decel although it still sounds acceptable.

LT's and a catted y will likely reduce rasp, not exaggerate it since some of the rasp is caused by the uneven factory y pipe with the big dent in the driver's side. the best thing we can do to reduce rasp is to run LT's, an aftermarket y pipe with a GOOD MERGE and most importantly RUN CATS!
While I do agree the LS1 is prone to raspiness, the type of exhaust system plays a big part. Though I think the somewhat unique firing of the Gen III engines may have something to do with the sound.

My car has zero rasp with no cats. I disagree about LT's and cats reducing raspiness. My friend had a bone stock TA with a Hooker catback with zero rasp. He added LT's and a catted Y and it was very raspy.

You refer to a good merge, I assume you mean a merge collector like the Flowmaster piece that welds into the Y. I added one to my old MAC Y and this reduced raspiness a lot. My QTP Y came with a huge 4" collector which I know is a big part of the sound.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Tech Resident

it can be done, but to me it's really not worth the effort. hookers are hit and miss. some people get bad rasp, some people don't. SLP dual/dual is probably the only solid performer with an ORY. no matter what, your car WILL sound better with cats than without even on these systems. even with a hooker, i'm sure at some part of the powerband, likely in the 2100-2300rpm range, you get some rasp. like you said, it's the Gen III engine that makes the rasp. all we can do is try and minimize it. cats are our best tool. if you want to bypass that route, it's very hard to do and in most cases, impossible.

and yes, i was refering to the flowmaster merge or something very similar.