Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slp y-pipe....again

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default slp y-pipe....again

I have read all the threads via search regarding this y-pipe that replaces the stock factory one. I have one that i can try for nothing and wonder if anyone has had any positive results at all or anything good to say about it or any performance increases. I know there are plenty of threads bashing it but just curious if there are any positive experiences with it at all before i just give it back, thanx.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

if it is 2 3/4" diameter or so and you remove your cats, you will feel maybe a little, and it will be alot louder.......other than doing that it is a big waste of time. I know,becauase a year ago I had a 2 3/4" y made up and removed the cats..much louder. Just get headers and save time and money.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on what you're trying to achieve.

I got my SLP y-pipe back in mid-1999, when the amount of LT header selection was very limited and very expensive. Now, there are plenty of LT headers out there (some still very expensive) and the power gains to be made are much higher over OE manifolds and the SLP y-pipe.

I noticed a slight improvement in power (SLP claims 5 RWHP or so) and was satisified with that at the time of purchase. I'm getting ready to purchase a Dynatech Supermaxx system in the next six months, in conjunction with a cam and possibly ported heads.

If you want a lot more power, then don't get the y-pipe and go for the LT's. If you're building a car to compete in a specific class or category, make sure you read the rules first, which could save you some money in the long run.

Based on your sig, I'd change the gears to 3.73 unless it's your DD and you don't want to decrease your gas mileage that much. The gear switch will improve your ET more than the y-pipe will. Of course, you could do both mods and still not spend what upper end LT's cost. Just my .02c.