Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Need A Y-pipe That Won't Scrape, Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 01:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I Need A Y-pipe That Won't Scrape, Please Help!

So I just got my new eibach pro-kit, bilstein revalves, panhard bar, and relocation brackets put on my car. I have Pacesetter LTs, a TSP catted y-pipe, and a GMMG cat back. I have approximately 2" of ground clearance under my car.

I drive into the city for work, so this just won't do. Now if I could find a shop to fab up a y-pipe like the one in the attached pic, I'd be set. I just have NO IDEA where to look.

Can I get the parts myself and do it that way?

Anyone know a shop in the northeast area that can do this?

Anyone know a shop that HAS done this that I could just order it from?

Or should I just go w/o the cats and use an ory to solve the ish?

I need some help here guys, and fast. Anyone with experience on this subject PLEASE chime in

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails I Need A Y-pipe That Won't Scrape, Please Help!-y-pipe.jpg  
Old 07-06-2006, 02:08 AM
TECH Regular

So i've been doing some research, and if i get the parts together I can maybe just bring the stuff to a shop and have them fab the rest. Here's my next question ...

If my Pacesetters are 3" outlet (like the pic), do I go with cats that also have a 3" inlet/outlet or should they be 2.5"? I always forget how the sizing works w/exhaust piping ...

Also I need a merge collector as the pic above shows ... the thread it came from(https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....76&postcount=4) says a 4" merge, but does that mean 3" inlet (from the y) and 4" out (to the cat back?) or since my GMMG is 3", should I get the 3.5" outlet or just 3" .... i'm so confused..

do i get the same size piping or different ... ??? I always forget how to figure that stuff out ... help!
Old 07-06-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

get the same size and use straps or if you want it one piece, have it welded...

as long as you're running cats, any shop will take on the project, but its up to you to get some dimensions for them and tell them how snug up you want everything...

you could, however, use some oval tubing, and though it is a BITCH to get bent for your usage, you can run a larger diameter and still gain some clearance... oval pipes with round inserts to mate up with everything is really nice (some places also make oval inlet cats/mufflers, rare but they're out there)
Old 07-06-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

hmmm i hope my guy at midas is up for a challenge
Old 07-06-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

could you take some pictures underneath the car? where is the lowest point of ground clearance? Driver side floor board?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ryanfx
could you take some pictures underneath the car? where is the lowest point of ground clearance? Driver side floor board?
I don't have my digital camera right now, but yup, driver's side from the cat to the cat back. Any suggestions?