Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with 98 wiring harness PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 01:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Problem with 98 wiring harness PLEASE HELP!

I'm in the middle of a conversion and swapped another fellow for a 98 M6 wiring harness. Pretty sure it is a 98 as everything else is going smooth and it fits in the computer which seem a bit different then the 99+'s I've worked on.

The oil pressure sending unit does not fit the connecter from the wiring harness has on female and the sensor itself has two males. As shown in the pic below

1. Is this is a difference from a M6 to A4 in 98?? With different sensor part numbers?

2. Do I have the wrong harness??? (doesn't seem to be the case)

3. Anyone have a helms guide for a 98 that has the wiring for the sensor? If it is two is it a one ground and live, I could get a new pig tail and ground the correct wire.....if not which number slot do they use in the PCM?

I broke the sending unit trying to get it out so now I need to order one Monday need to make sure I get the right one and order a pigtail if one is needed...

THANKS!

Bobby

Old 07-09-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the problem is that you have a 98 =D Everyone hates them exactly for this reason.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:27 AM
TECH Junkie

LOL its the wifes old car, had an 01 WS6 and an 01 Z06 and will probably get a trailblazer ss for myself. but the wife likes her vert so I'm keeping it. thanks for rubbing it in though
Old 07-09-2006, 01:39 AM
That's what she said...

Easy way to see if it's a '98 wire harness is to look at the temp sensor plug (in front of the #1 cylinder exhaust port). If it's a 3-prong plug, it's a 98. If it's a 2 prong, its newer (dummy guage).

That oil pressure plug looks fishy. Mine's a 2 prong in my '98, but i've never realled looked at it closely, just unplugged it for manifold swaps etc.

BTW - Don't let them give you a hard time, 98's came with the biggest cam's from the factory and they are scared.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Easy way to see if it's a '98 wire harness is to look at the temp sensor plug (in front of the #1 cylinder exhaust port). If it's a 3-prong plug, it's a 98. If it's a 2 prong, its newer (dummy guage).

That oil pressure plug looks fishy. Mine's a 2 prong in my '98, but i've never realled looked at it closely, just unplugged it for manifold swaps etc.

BTW - Don't let them give you a hard time, 98's came with the biggest cam's from the factory and they are scared.
Thanks that is a MUCH better response. Do you mean the temp plug on the drivers side head? If so I think that did plug in but I didn't check out the prongs unless I plugged the wrong thing in which is hard to do on these motors.

But a friend with a 98 pretty much verified that its a 99+ harness pin 40 is black and there are only two connectors going in, not sure which it is but he asked me those two questions and said it was a newer harness...

SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the time I get the vert going its going to be raining again and I'll have to drive my beater S10 blazer all summer

Thanks!