Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuning after gutting cats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning after gutting cats?

Do i need to worry about my car throwing a code if I gut my cats? if so how do I get around that?
Old 07-09-2006, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

You will throw a code for the rear o2's, you will have to get those tuned out, there are a couple of tunes available, full tune or one for the air and o2 codes.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

you could get simulator's for the rear o2's. If you dont want to go through the hassle of tuning.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

You'll either throw a code (no big deal really) or get O2 sims. They are like 80 bucks most places.

Or you could get a partial tune to turn them off along with some other tuning to help the car out.

it would probably be better to wait for the tune until you got longtubes.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

Your car will run poor with gutted cats and no o2 sims due to the computer retarding your timing when the ses light comes on. If you have the sims it will eliminate this retardation. I did this mod to my ls1 and honestly unless you have a tune, you will lose the torque on the low end and yes it is noticable too. Either get a tune or just wait to you get long tubes. Just my .02. Josh.G.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

i gutted my cats and just left the reat 02's in the cats when i did it. i was just real careful not to bump them when cleaning them out. for some reason, i haven't gotten a check engine light. it's been 2 weeks now and even ran it ***** out at the track this past sunday and still no light. i'm thinking that i kinda plugged them up with the dust and crap enough to keep it from getting a messed up reading and throwing the light. i think i kinda lucked out , but i wouldn't recommend what i did. i only did it because i plan on doing longtubes and a tune so i didn't care if the rear o2's got messed up
oh yeah, i ran .05 faster with them gutted, which means it does absolutely nothing for performance. it was probably just me driving different.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Veteran

I didn't notice any loss in power when I gutted them on previous vehicles, but I went ahead and put the o2 sims on before I gutted them this time. It does sound alot better now though. You can get them for $50 used in the "Parts for Sale" section.

Quick Reply: tuning after gutting cats?