Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 Cars With Tranny Coolers & Fast Toys Ram Air, Got A Question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 08:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A4 Cars With Tranny Coolers & Fast Toys Ram Air, Got A Question.

Anyone ever installed a Fast Toys Ram Air on a car equipped with a Tranny Cooler?

I am wondering where you moved the tranny cooler to get room to install the ram air kit?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 07-11-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an SLP ram air and mounted my tranny cooler in front of the driver's side tire, below the DTRL.

**Edit**You can actually see it in my sig pic**
Old 07-11-2006, 09:11 AM
10 Second Club

alot mount it "dope style".o some people may say that you're not getting enough air to the cooler this way, but in the 3 I've installed i've never heard or seen any problems with the cooler not cooling. temps are right in line with styles in front of the radiator.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GregWS6&z28
alot mount it "dope style".o some people may say that you're not getting enough air to the cooler this way, but in the 3 I've installed i've never heard or seen any problems with the cooler not cooling. temps are right in line with styles in front of the radiator.
Do you have any pics? "dope style" ?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 07-11-2006, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No matter where you mount your cooler it will be of at least some help. However, the efficiency of the cooler will depend on the specific location you choose. Efficiency ratings are as follows:
  1. In front of radiator = 100% (per B&M specs document)
  2. Between radiator and A/C condenser = 75% (per B&M specs)
  3. Behind A/C condenser = 60% (per B&M specs)
  4. Any other location in the engine compartment w/ both sides exposed to the air = 20% (I can’t recall where I saw this number. It sounded reasonable but I can’t vouch for it.) B&M specs say not to do this. Maybe this is what was called "dope style."
  5. Flat mounted on a surface such as the firewall is < 1%. If #4 is called "dope style," then this must be "brain dead style."
I have the SLP cold air induction which I understand is even longer than the Fast Toys model. But being **** about doing things right, I managed to mount it in front of the radiator. I put it at the very, very bottom and it just barely fits. I had to remove the duct to get a little working room and then put it back in. I also popped the radiator out of bracket which gave me about a ½ inch of wiggle room. It wasn’t easy but it can be done.

I didn't try it but there might be enough room to put it between the radiator and A/C condensor. I can't recall if the space between them is greater than the thickness of the cooler. If so, this location might be a good choice.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

To GregWS6: "dope style", did you mean to say "drop style"?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Can you fit a trany cooler with SSRA?
Old 07-11-2006, 11:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mr Ed
No matter where you mount your cooler it will be of at least some help. However, the efficiency of the cooler will depend on the specific location you choose. Efficiency ratings are as follows:
  1. In front of radiator = 100% (per B&M specs document)
  2. Between radiator and A/C condenser = 75% (per B&M specs)
  3. Behind A/C condenser = 60% (per B&M specs)
  4. Any other location in the engine compartment w/ both sides exposed to the air = 20% (I can’t recall where I saw this number. It sounded reasonable but I can’t vouch for it.) B&M specs say not to do this. Maybe this is what was called "dope style."
  5. Flat mounted on a surface such as the firewall is < 1%. If #4 is called "dope style," then this must be "brain dead style."
I have the SLP cold air induction which I understand is even longer than the Fast Toys model. But being **** about doing things right, I managed to mount it in front of the radiator. I put it at the very, very bottom and it just barely fits. I had to remove the duct to get a little working room and then put it back in. I also popped the radiator out of bracket which gave me about a ½ inch of wiggle room. It wasn’t easy but it can be done.

I didn't try it but there might be enough room to put it between the radiator and A/C condensor. I can't recall if the space between them is greater than the thickness of the cooler. If so, this location might be a good choice.

The guy that is doing my install has decided to install it where the window washer bottle was. This should provide enough airflow. I have the factory cooler also inline. So, if the B&M works even 20%-30% along with the factory unit it should be okay. I have a tranny temp gauge so I can keep an eye on it.

I am having the Fast Toys Ram Air and the Thunder Racing Coil Relocation package installed. So, it should look nice when I get it back.

Thanks for everyones input!

Bill
Old 07-11-2006, 12:09 PM
10 Second Club

Cut out the passenger side splash guard grill and mount it there. I have mine there and my transmission stays very cool with the cooler in that location. If you crawl under the car you will notice if it is in place of the splash guard your going to be getting as much air to it as putting it in front of the air damn,which you can't do because of the fast toys.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have mine in between the radiator and ac condenser and it works great even in 90+ degrees hot lapping at the track.