Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers on stock exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Headers on stock exhaust?

Ok so here is my plan... I am gonna buy the pace setter longtubes with all the egr stuff and and off road y-pipe. And get the dyno tuned. I got a really good price on everything but I was wondering if it was stupid to put all this on my stock exhaust. I want to buy a catback later but I want the power and the sound of the long tubes. Do you think I would be messing anything up getting the car dyno tuned with the stock exhaust then switching to a diffrent system later? Has anyone heard a car with long tubes and stock exhaust before? I searched LS1sounds and couldn't find anything. I fell in love with sound of the GMMG on the black WS6 Thanks in advance guys!!
Old 07-11-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My current setup is stock manifolds, cat delete pipes, slp-Y, Cut-Out in the I, and Stock Z exhaust. It sounds GREAT!!!! I will get a sound/Vid clip up tonight, ive had this set up all season so far and have LT's in the box in the garage. I will be leaving stock catback on to keep the clean mean sound and i have the cutout when I wanna haul down the track. I dynotuned with cutout open.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

thanks, I was just gonna run the long tubes into a catless y then to the stock exhaust. Is that what you were going to do too? I just want to know if that sounds good. All opions wanted!
Old 07-11-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Yup

Originally Posted by smg267
thanks, I was just gonna run the long tubes into a catless y then to the stock exhaust. Is that what you were going to do too? I just want to know if that sounds good. All opions wanted!

Exactly what im doin.....LT's-->ORY--->Cut-Out in I-pipe--->Stock catback.

I am going to go record the video now, I think you will really like how this sounds. Remember this is with stock exhaust manifolds and cat delete pipes so it has that header sound to it. I cant wait to put my headers on.

I like being able to choose a sweet rumble or hells gates loud.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default here ya go

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...t=bbf7ad24.flv

My camcorder took a crap on me, so I had to use the still camera and its crappy mic. but i think ull get the idea.....
Old 07-11-2006, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Wow thanks for taking all the time to do that for me! Yeah It does sound mean with the cut out! I think I am gonna do the cut out in the I pipe too. You even took the car cover off for me and everything! Thanks Again!
Old 07-11-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

no problem, been wantin to get a clip.......it sounds way loud cause it was cold so was idlin high.....but that was with the cut out closed.. If its open it sounds nascar style lol
Old 07-11-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

I have been trying to get a clip with the "Stock SS" muffler forever, oh well, I guess I will post one of LT's, ORY' and Stock SS in about 2 weeks. When I get back from the Beach I am putting them on.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

Yes I have long tubes with stock cat back. It works just fine and I have a
cutout for sound and drag racing. I do plan a catback in the future.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:06 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm about to have a stock catback on mine. Not from my car though, it's from a 2002 Firehawk and normally referred to as the SLP Dual/Dual.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

i had the same set up for a bit, i always kept my cutout open being that the stock muffler was WAY to quiet for my personal taste, but if you like quiet its the way to go man
Old 07-12-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

thanks again guys. I just mailed the check for my credit card as soon as it clears i am buyin the headers. I <3 6 months no intrest! hahahh. I'll put a sound clip up when i get it.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

All vids are with digital camera with crappy mic.

Before Cutout.

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...t=100_0606.flv

After cutout.

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...t=100_0610.flv

Driveby

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...t=100_0628.flv

I have long tubes, off road y, 3" electric cutout, stock catback. I orginally wanted to get the gmmg...but after I installed the cutout, it seems stupid for me to do that. I can be quiet when I want, and loud when I want by the flip of a switch
Old 07-12-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Grillrd
I have long tubes, off road y, 3" electric cutout, stock catback. I orginally wanted to get the gmmg...but after I installed the cutout, it seems stupid for me to do that. I can be quiet when I want, and loud when I want by the flip of a switch
dont mean to go off topic, but what brand electric cutout are you using? and how good does it seal/work?
Old 07-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ilirw325
dont mean to go off topic, but what brand electric cutout are you using? and how good does it seal/work?
QTP...gives me trouble occasionally of not wanting to open or close...but all i have to do is a rev while holding the button and it goes either way...that happens mostly when i go to open it that it i have to rev.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My current setup is stock manifolds, cat delete pipes, slp-Y, Cut-Out in the I, and Stock Z exhaust. It sounds GREAT!!!! I will get a sound/Vid clip up tonight, ive had this set up all season so far and have LT's in the box in the garage. I will be leaving stock catback on to keep the clean mean sound and i have the cutout when I wanna haul down the track. I dynotuned with cutout open.
I have stock exhaust besides a flowmaster muffler with a cutout in the I-pipe and i was thinking about getting the slp y....do you think it was worth the money? how do you like it?

I also plan on running LT's with ory with the stock catback. I think the cutout will work just fine for me
Old 07-12-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Exactly what im doin.....LT's-->ORY--->Cut-Out in I-pipe--->Stock catback.

I am going to go record the video now, I think you will really like how this sounds. Remember this is with stock exhaust manifolds and cat delete pipes so it has that header sound to it. I cant wait to put my headers on.

I like being able to choose a sweet rumble or hells gates loud.
Same route I'm going to go. My wife drives the car alot so it can't be stupid loud all the time.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
I have stock exhaust besides a flowmaster muffler with a cutout in the I-pipe and i was thinking about getting the slp y....do you think it was worth the money? how do you like it?

I also plan on running LT's with ory with the stock catback. I think the cutout will work just fine for me
Honestly, If you plan on going to LT's just save the money uda spent on the SLP Y and put it towards the headers. I thought I wasnt going to get headers but I changed my mind. Dont have any before and after results with the Y though.....any gain prolly wasnt worth the money.....made the car a tad bit louder/different growl, but nothin other people would notice.