Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can powdercoating a water pump damage the pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can powdercoating a water pump damage the pump?

I just want to make sure that powdercoating my water pump will not damage it in anyway. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would tape off the inside and the mating surfaces....
Old 07-12-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To Powder coat something, it has to be heated to 350-400 Deg for 20+ min's.. if there are seals still in the pump.. it could damage them if they are not rated for the high Temp.. (I don't think many are, as most car engine never get about to or above 275 deg .. ?)

I was about to do one for a friend and I called the manufactor of the pump and He stated he would not recommend heating it up to 400 deg. But that could be his option or for his pump/seal only. I didn't do it on that recomendation.

So if the pump can be disassembled, just make sure you tape up all area that should not be coated. (both inside and out). They also make High Temp Powder, but have not tried any of them. When I called Eastwood, they stated that the normal Powder can be used on engine parts wtih out problem..

Hope my .02's helped.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just contacted the powdercoated and he told me....

"Our standard thermoset powdercoat is baked at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, and can withstand somewhat higher temperatures than that once it's set - the name "thermoset" means that it melts once at a specific temperature, and then sets - not again melting unless much higher temps (600+) come into contact with the part."