Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What catback with my setup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What catback with my setup?

I am going to be buying a 99 Camaro Z28 M6 in the next week or so and I plan to do the Lid, smooth bellows, Pacesetter Long tubes, offroad Y pipe, and some sort of catback. I want a nice and loud exhaust tone, but I want it to be deep and quality sounding. I want people to be impressed with the tone just as much as the volume. I am not wanting it to be too long in the car tho since it is my daily driver. I was thinking about either Magnaflow, TSP Rumbler, TSP True Duals with Bullets out the back. I just really want a nice deep aggressive tone that has some ***** to it. Please help.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

People can tell you how loud a certain catback is, but the appreciation of the tone is going to change from person to person.

You should check out the sticky with ls1 sounds on it. It has almost every type of exhaust setup you can imagine and that will give you an idea of where you want to start.

Also, go hang out with some local f body guys and listen to their cars first hand and see what you like.

If you want something thats loud on demand, look at putting a cutout on the car after the y pipe. Thats what I usually run and its plenty loud when its open. When its closed, it runs through a Flowmaster, which I would never pay for, the previous owner put it on the car, but its nice and quiet, but has a decent tone.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

One of my favorite exhaust setups is a TD setup with SS Edelbrock mufflers, you can hear videos of it by clicking on my sig pic, then going to the TDs page.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

I greatly appreciate it guys. Can anyone with the true duals setups please chime in? Wondering what muffler is best sounding and how loud it is in the cab dumped preaxle.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:53 AM
10 Second Club

Go true duals or GMMG.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HAMRHEAD
Go true duals or GMMG.
i agree. just know that true duals will be very, very loud. i've never heard true duals in person but from the clips, my personal favorite mufflers are flowmaster 1-chambers. they flow very well in true dual applications and produce a very deep, old school sound. they'll be sure to scare the **** out of many unsuspecting mothers in minivans.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best flowing cat back would be the hooker cat back. tame until you get on it. My personal favorite is the true dual xpipe/bullets dumped at the axle. its not too loud with a small cam or stock cam. But it screams at WOT....
Old 07-13-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Ive had the TSP rumbler on my sister's WS6 and it sounded like ***. nothing like the sound clips i had heard from another car with the same mods.....
Old 07-13-2006, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i agree. just know that true duals will be very, very loud. i've never heard true duals in person but from the clips, my personal favorite mufflers are flowmaster 1-chambers. they flow very well in true dual applications and produce a very deep, old school sound. they'll be sure to scare the **** out of many unsuspecting mothers in minivans.

yup, its loud if you like loud and deep, i have this exact same set up my car right now, it is not loud to me cause i ran open headers for two months this summer, but i really really like the tone, and it wont break your bank when your buying your parts for the set up man, pick up an X pipe from summit for 90 bucks and the Flowmasters are 72 a piece from summit
Old 07-13-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

The TSP Rumbler with those mods will be excessively loud and drone like hell inside the car. May as well scratch it off the list as a potential. Magnaflow sounds good with LTs and ORY, that's the setup I daily drove for a year and a half. Very deep, rumbling, and somewhat loud. Sounds mean as hell at WOT.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

OK I am going to go with true duals and get a shop here to custom fab it all up for me. They are going to run dual 2.5" all the way back for me (should i go 3"). I will also have an X-Pipe. I am either going with flowmaster 10's, dynomax bullets, or sweet thunders. I want to have a loud, and deep sound. I don't want the pro stock loud as **** sound...more like a really deep and aggressive sound that at WOT is loud.

BTW I don't want any rasp and what length should I go with on the ST's or Bullets?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Ever consider the moroso spiral flows or flo pro twisters? I've only heard clips, but the ones I did hear sold me on them for a nice deep tone but still pretty loud (quieter than the bullets, if that means anything). I should be getting the system next week and will have some clips, etc.

-J
Old 07-13-2006, 11:01 AM
TECH Veteran

i run the 16" bullets. summits number is WLK-24215 for the 2.5" and 24222 for the 3".
Old 07-13-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BLKWS6
i run the 16" bullets. summits number is WLK-24215 for the 2.5" and 24222 for the 3".
how loud is the car man? Is it bareable and have a nice tone?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Ever consider the moroso spiral flows or flo pro twisters? I've only heard clips, but the ones I did hear sold me on them for a nice deep tone but still pretty loud (quieter than the bullets, if that means anything). I should be getting the system next week and will have some clips, etc.

-J
yea i was thinking about those two but i have heard that the bullets flow the best and that the sweet thunders have the best tone...hm
Old 07-13-2006, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

I have basically the same mods as you and I have the magnaflow catback and it sounds sweet, not loud at cruising speeds but definantly mean sounding if you get on it.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtyblackhoe
how loud is the car man? Is it bareable and have a nice tone?
Well ...with the stock Z06 cam...its not much louder than a regular catback (if at all at idle) but def louder at WOT. Now if you ever get a cam of any size...it will be a good bit louder. When i had my 408...i got more compliments on the sound than i can remember. Even from cops. But i got them when i had the 346 w/fm11 cam also.

Its all about what you consider "daily driver" or loud. you will get more "sound" in the car with dumps than you will with a full length catback.

i mean...i drove my 408 with dumps and a full spooled 12bolt everyday.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

damn that's awesome. I definately want to run the exhaust out the back of the car so that will help with interior noise. I guess i just am afraid the bullets won't sound mean and will pop and crackle without the cats.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtyblackhoe
damn that's awesome. I definately want to run the exhaust out the back of the car so that will help with interior noise. I guess i just am afraid the bullets won't sound mean and will pop and crackle without the cats.
if you want to run them out the back....i would suggest just doing a catback. much cheaper and it will give you what you are looking for i believe. Go to that LS1sound website and check the clips out.

Getting a xpipe run out the back is gonna cost ya in labor. its not easy. doable. but not easy. will need to relocate the upper panhard bar (or toss it ) to give you the clearance. I HAVE seen it where both pipes came over the stock side (passenger) but it was so close together it wasnt funny. So some searches in here for "true dual" exhaust and check out the pics. lots of them.

PS....sent you an email
Old 07-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by BLKWS6
The best flowing cat back would be the hooker cat back.
mer? no chance in hell. the SLP loudmouth will far outflow a hooker as it has no muffler and the hooker does. gmmg and loudmouth 2 should also outflow hooker. shoot, my SLP dual/dual may outflow the hooker. i know my catback flows very well.