Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

correct way to oil a kn

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default correct way to oil a kn

ive got my filter out of my car, sprayed the cleaner stuff on it, wated 10 mintues, rinsed it off....waiting for it to dry
i picked up the bottle of oil and it doesnt help much
the bottle said go to kn's website
kn's website says "oil along the pleats"....
do i apply oil to the top of the ridges, the bottem of the ridges.....or throw the damn thing away, im sick of looking at it
i just thought i better ask first because ive heard alot about over oiling it and causing problems
Old 07-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by anotherreject04
ive got my filter out of my car, sprayed the cleaner stuff on it, wated 10 mintues, rinsed it off....waiting for it to dry
i picked up the bottle of oil and it doesnt help much
the bottle said go to kn's website
kn's website says "oil along the pleats"....
do i apply oil to the top of the ridges, the bottem of the ridges.....or throw the damn thing away, im sick of looking at it
i just thought i better ask first because ive heard alot about over oiling it and causing problems

i just oil on top of the filter, spraying back a couple of times and then throw it in. dont over do it by the oil dripping off the damn thing, just use common sense.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only "mod" my car came with was a K&N filter. After cleaning and oiling it a few times I threw it away and went with paper filters.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:14 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After its nice can clean, oil ONLY the side that points down when it's installed. Just get it nice and red, but not soaking. Doing one side will make the air pull it into the pleats. If you spray the other side, it will just get sucked into the MAF.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
After its nice can clean, oil ONLY the side that points down when it's installed. Just get it nice and red, but not soaking. Doing one side will make the air pull it into the pleats. If you spray the other side, it will just get sucked into the MAF.
And after it turns red, I let it air dry for at least a day. There is no sense in rushing it back into the car with it still wet where the MAF can suck it up.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:43 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
And after it turns red, I let it air dry for at least a day. There is no sense in rushing it back into the car with it still wet where the MAF can suck it up.
If you just oil the bottom, you don't have to worry about it. If you did both, you'd probably need to let it sit. I've been doing mine this exact same way for 2.5 years.

When I first put mine on, it looks white through the lid, but gets a redness to it after a few drives.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
If you just oil the bottom, you don't have to worry about it. If you did both, you'd probably need to let it sit. I've been doing mine this exact same way for 2.5 years.

When I first put mine on, it looks white through the lid, but gets a redness to it after a few drives.
Nope, just oiled the bottom, but would rather let it sit a day than risk ruining my MAF like a lot of people have done using the K&N system. It's most likely overkill, but overkill tends to work out best for me.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:50 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

I just throw mine on the groound really hard about 20X and it looks pretty damn clean afterwards. j/k.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
The only "mod" my car came with was a K&N filter. After cleaning and oiling it a few times I threw it away and went with paper filters.
I'm about at this point too. After factoring in the time, hassle, cost, and benefit, I'll be doing paper once mines dirty.

Maybe I'm ****, but it just never seemed to get "clean" enough.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

Oil does not dry, that why it is called oil. dust it off with old or new paint brush, spray it off with cleaner, wait a few minutes, spray it off with water, throw it on your outside AC unit fan for about 30min, spary the oil on bottom of filter (about 6 spray strokes), and reinstall in car. If you want to throw away $50 bucks to avoid doing these few steps be my guest. This is a simple thing to do and I usually do it when I change my oil.
Oh yea, while I am thinking about it, purchase a cheep quart of oil, and after your oil has drained out, poor it though your engine to help clean out your oil pan. I do this every few oil changes. Old hot-rodder thrick.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Launching!

+1 for taking your time. I was aiming for the original red and kept spaying coats on both sides until I achieved it-way too much. Had to rewash the filter and redo the whole process. killed most of the day with drying time and applying light coats. I'll try the spray on bottom method next time. my mistake killed almost an entire cleaning kit. at this rate the kn wont "pay for itself" .
Old 07-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Board Certified Idiot

Persnaly i dont Like that Crap.. I would Just go Buy another Filter
Old 07-13-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

How long do the paper filters last with the Free Ram Air mod? I notices that my old K&N used to get dirty at about 8 or 10K miles.

It was so much a of a PITA to clean and re-oil and wait HOURS for it to dry that I just bought a STP paper filter for like $4.99 @ autozone.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Launching!

I have done the fra and even still its gets durtier its not often enough to warrant going back to paper permantly. just a personal preferance, thats all. I do keep a spare paper filter so the car is not down until the kn is dry. it goes in until the kn is done.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:18 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
It was so much a of a PITA to clean and re-oil and wait HOURS for it to dry that I just bought a STP paper filter for like $4.99 @ autozone.
Go stick it on top of your condensing unit beside your house an it will dry in about 10 minutes.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just cleaned my K&N about a week ago. It was a bigger pain in the *** than I thought it would be. I agree with who ever said it earlier, it never seemed to get COMPLETELY clean and that was annoying to me. But I cleaned it as much as I possibly could, let it dry over night and then in the morning I oiled it. I just sprayed a few light coats along the pleats on the bottom (dirty) side of the filter. Just enough for it to look pink again. Then put it right back in my car. I think you'd be better off not oiling it enough than oiling it to much, so dont go crazy with the oil.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:42 PM
That's what she said...

I like to let mine soak in a ton of cleaner, then take the nozzle off the hose and run it through to where it tries to push the dirt back out the way it tried to come in. If you spray the other side, you're just driving the dirt in farther. Tapping most of the dirt off before you start helps too.

I've run K&N's in offroad applications to where they were completely caked with mud/dirt on the outside. Take them off and they are clean on the inside. I ran one on my MX quad and we also had one on the ASCS Sprint car.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

The thing about letting it sit after you oil it is not to let it dry but for it to soak in. If your only doing the bottom, which I think is a great idea except I have a green performance filter(same thing as a K/N just green) and a MTI clear lid so It kind of goes with my car so I like to make sure the top side is covered in oil also but if I didnt I would go this way. But I let it sit for a day or two so the oil has a chance to soak down into the filter.

I just do the same as lunatik and have a paper filter. It will last for ever because its only in the car for a day or two.

Also for Cleaning you not suppose to use the cleaner to get the filter clean. Just soak it let it sit for an hour then spray it clean with water. Its not going to turn a perfect white. I have had the same cleaning can for many years now and both the mustang and firebird have these filters.

1998 Formula B/G Chameleon Pontiac Ram Air hood w/lower box
KB DD Subframe & Strut Tower Brace
MTI Clear air lid w/Green Performance Filter, Borla Cat Back

2001 Mustang GT Bullitt DHG #3033
KB Strut Brace
Old 07-15-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

What kind of oil should you use on it?
Old 07-15-2006, 05:01 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Louie83
What kind of oil should you use on it?
K&N filter oil. They sell a "recharge kit" at an autoparts store that has cleaner and new oil.