Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing or Lean Bog after LT Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing or Lean Bog after LT Headers?

I just installed Pacesetter LT's and a Pacesetter ORY. Here's a description of my problems:

Ok, so I took my car to a friend of mine who has a regular scanner (not for tuning, just checking codes etc.). At idle, or even when revving in neutral it would not misfire. We tried riding around, and I got the scanner to show that it was misfiring on #4. This was an odd coincidence because #4 was the wire that was touching my header and I figured it was probably just burned. So, I changed the plug wire and figured I'd be all set. Wrong. It's still doing it! I then, after much cursing and swearing, removed and replaced the #4 plug. That didn't fix it. It still is doing the same thing. It seems like it has to be missing from what everyone is saying, but I'm starting to second guess that diagnosis.

If you nail the throttle in 1st at about 2000 RPM, it will start making that popping/backfiring sound out the exhaust and it accelerates but it feels like it's "hitching." It's obviously not accelerating at full speed. As the RPMs climb and you continue to stay in the throttle it will come out of it...maybe 4,500 RPM. When you hit 2nd it might pop a little but usually not. It just seems to be when the RPMs are climbing really rapidly in 1st that it will do it. If you floor it in 3rd at 2000 RPM, it will not do it. It just starts to pull like it normally would, although obviously the RPMs are not climbing nearly as fast 3rd. Some people I know are trying to tell me it's a "lean" bog...is this possible?

I'm baffled here. Any help I can get would be appreciated.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:54 PM
JGA
TECH Enthusiast

Hi

Still sounds like wires to me. I know its a lot of work, but get a multi-meter and check their resistance.

JA
Old 07-16-2006, 11:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Change all of the plugs and make sure all the wires get the double click on the coils.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Ok, thank you. If it were a wire or plug, would it show up as a misfire on the cylinder(s) that had the bad plugs or wires?