Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tensioner replacement when upgade on crank pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question tensioner replacement when upgade on crank pulley?

i now have everything i need to put on my powerbond pulley, but how important is it to replace the tensioner when i do it? i have the new belts and threaded rod and all that install junk. i have also been reading about the install and am curious if using a little silicone on the pulley is nessesary i think i remember reading about that somewhere. thanks for any advice you can give.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

It will most likely prevent the pulley from ever throwing a belt.

Katech makes a nice one.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:42 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't worry about it untill you have a problem, just make sure it's seated all the way. 99% of people with UD pullies don't have a problem.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when i start my car my tensioner pulley kinda shrikes do i need to replace it or will wd40 work?
Old 07-18-2006, 11:52 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by DSRCAM
when i start my car my tensioner pulley kinda shrikes do i need to replace it or will wd40 work?
You don't want to oil it or the belt will slip. You may just need a new pulley, not the whole tensioner. The bearings do go out in them.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

cool. my tensioner isnt making any noises, i figured i would let it go until it showed signs of needing replacement.--------------------any insight on putting silicone on the pulley when installing it. i only read one place that they recomended it to promote a goos seal to the engine, any input on that one???
Old 07-19-2006, 10:50 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by bigti99a
cool. my tensioner isnt making any noises, i figured i would let it go until it showed signs of needing replacement.--------------------any insight on putting silicone on the pulley when installing it. i only read one place that they recomended it to promote a goos seal to the engine, any input on that one???
I wouldn't mess with silicone. I did rub a little grease on the main seal so the pulley snout would slide into it easier. I also put the pulley in the oven on like 300* for about 15 minutes, went on no problem. I actually got worried because it went on so easy. It's been on for 12k with the stock tensioner, never once throwing the belt.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the input blur. i expect everything to go well.....at least i hope it does!