Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My appologies to QTP

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My appologies to QTP

Hello everyone. This will be a bit long, but hopefully, help clarify my experience with QTP products. This is NOT going to be a bash or anything along those lines, and you MIGHT find some of this helpful. It has come to my attention that, perhaps, some of the things I have meant to be helpful and informing with may be interperated otherwise. So, I appeal to those interested to allow me to clarify. Sorry so long, but, I don' t want to cause any problems or waves in our little pool

I' ll start by saying there is nothing that I am going to touch on, that I would' nt do again. I have had two sets of QTP headers, in addition to their catd' Y-pipe and QTEC, so, obviously, I love the products. I have don' t have second thoughts about recommending them if you want good, quality, proven parts.

I have had some problems in the past, that you can find by searching or contacting me directly, that I addressed with QTP. Without going longer than necessary, I contacted them about it. I was met with helpfulness and offered suggestions to correct my problems. I couldn' t rectify the problems with the suggestions, so I contacted them again. I was offered a chance to send my product back, and replaced with new product, and was suprised and pleased with the offer. However, I considered the shipping cost, additional labor to pull them off, put the OEM stuff back on, take the OEM stuff back off, and put the replacements back in, and executed a different plan, which I accepted responsibility for, and corrected the problem.

Since, I have installed another set, and had similar issues, which I corrected the same way. We did not bother calling QTP because I had not had problems with how I corrected my car.

I would just like to say that it has only been my intention to help, for any who are interested. I don' t think my word is the final say, however, if someone posted what I have in the past, then I would have had a bit easier time installing mine. Of course, maybe not many people have had similar problems. Regardless, it came to my knowledge that my humble suggestions and thoughts could be regarded as harmful or hurtful and I figured I should clarify my position better. Anyone who knows me knows that I would not do that.

I have found that the people at QTP to be helpful, and I know I have expressed this before. I know they are also very busy. To them, I offer an appology for anything that I had not been clear on, and know that word of mouth is very important, and as I am a guest on this forum, I do not want to paint a misrepresented picture one of our valuable sponsors.

I hope this clears up any misconceptions, or questions regarding QTP
s integrity, or mine. I will still offer my humble opinion on such matters, but, I wanted to make sure that it' s understood in the context it was meant. My hat' s off to the guys over there. I love the products and picked up damn near 10 more RWHP with just a change to the HVMCs, so, like I have said many times, they are worth considering.

Chuck
Old 07-21-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Proof that we have pretty nice people on these boards! Nice write up and explanation...
Old 07-21-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by radz282003
...I have found that the people at QTP to be helpful, and I know I have expressed this before. I know they are also very busy. To them, I offer an appology for anything that I had not been clear on, and know that word of mouth is very important, and as I am a guest on this forum, I do not want to paint a misrepresented picture one of our valuable sponsors.
Chuck
I guess that pretty much sums it up. We are all guests here and the sponsors pay the bills.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Well, I feel like I am a guest. I have spent a lot more time researching, and reading what a lot of you have shared, on many subjuects, and when I can, I try to add helpful experiences and advise. I wasn' t doing it to kiss butt or anything like that, but, maybe it seemed my comments, regarding these products, have seemed pretty dark. I know that I have followed many up with specific things on my car that I have changed, to likely have contributed to my difficulties, however, at the same time, sometimes people only pick out what they want to. I just wanted to make my statements from the past clear. Shoot, I have recommended QTP to countless people in my area, because they aren' t that known yet. Anyways, I' m not looking for points and or anything like that, just want to clear the air
Old 07-21-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

No shame in that.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

For reals.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Teching In

QTP's headers are world class without a doubt! They need to focus their time on their ORY for sure esp the driver side. Also, perhaps offer a stainless (only 300 series) version of an improved pipe and become the best header/y combo for the fbody
Old 07-21-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Oh yeah. I' d be on a T304 Y-pipe like flies on sheeet.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This isn't a bash... but I've seen two local cars with a newer batch of the HVMC's, and they both hit the K member and rubbed the steering shaft. Has anything been done to correct this? I actually cancelled my order after seeing how bad they fit on a local car. I really wanted a set now that they are more affordable.

Again, not a bash... just curious to see if anything has changed. For now, I'm sticking with my Pacesetters because they fit well. (Although, that wasn't always true.)
Old 07-21-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

Well, I have adjusted the steering shaft and that helped. I think motor mount condition could affect some of these problems, as suggested to me, but I couldn' t tell ya'. I' ve heard te same thing with most LTs for these cars, but, I' d rather cut my car for some purty polished T304 LTs. As far as anything changing from the last batch, I think a little has. I know that I had less clearance from the tubes to the unibody rail on my car than the car I just did. BUT, I have loosened the motor mount perches in the past and wouldn' t not say that maybe that didn' t contribute to the problem. I know we didn' t touch them on the recent car, but, with the way they make these cars, who knows what your going to get.Could be there is more word about these LTs because they seem to be in very high demand, as opposed to some of the others, so these will be more suspect to criticism.

Anyhow, I know they look different then the standard collectors I had before, in the same area, so who knows?! Everything else is good. Gotta' pay to play.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Thank you for the reply. The second car I saw them on locally was a low mile 02' A4. They are good looking headers, and do make the power. But, I want them to fit as good as my current Pacesetters. Kooks are great, but too rich for my blood.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:31 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I install many QTP headers, they had some issues on one particular batch of headers. I sent back a set myself. The last two sets that we have installed fit like they're supposed to.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Cool. There can' t be that many problems because people paying $800 for a set of headers are going to bitch if there are.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

One thing I get tired of hearing is that you paid for an aftermarket non-oem performance part, you might have issues. I think the parts that I'm buying are suppose to be better than oem. Thats why its an aftermarket performance part and I pay a premium for it.

I'll use what Berry said in another post awhile ago. "Some cars have been wrecked or the mounts are worn". Not an exact quote, but similiar, and I totally agree. Even a bad tranny mount can cause header fit issues. My take is this. You can't do anything about a wrecked car. There's to many variables. The person would have to modify the headers if need be.

What I dont understand is the mount issues, if that is what is causing it to hit or rub. We all know most of these cars are aged and have been abused. The major majority of people dont want to change mounts with headers. Even though it's the best time. Why not just change the headers a little to accomadate. Someone like Barry who seems like a great guy could start offering mounts with header purchases for a little cash even.

All makes, not just one brand have issues. You just hear more about a single brand because it's the flavor of the month. I can think of almost every header when they came out. They all have issues. Look at the Slp's. People still complain, but yet people still buy them.

Bottom line: I feel if I buy a part for my car that is made for my car,whether oem or aftermarket, I better get what I paid for or it's going back or in the trash. I hold aftermarket makers to a higher standard. It's just sad that most people have accepted spending thousands of dollars on parts to just have to modify it to fit. When its suppose to be better than stock! Sometimes I bet some shops wish there was no such thing as the internet. As well as people that have been ripped by internet shops.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shigma2k2
QTP's headers are world class without a doubt! They need to focus their time on their ORY for sure esp the driver side. Also, perhaps offer a stainless (only 300 series) version of an improved pipe and become the best header/y combo for the fbody
That would be nice... the one they sell now is crap
Old 07-23-2006, 04:01 AM
12 Second Club

could have summed that all up one 1 sentence....I like QTP products. LOL
Old 07-23-2006, 11:17 AM
11 Second Club

QTP are good people.... they products and services are top stuff..
Old 07-24-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

No doubt. Barry was cool with me, and helped my brother out. My car is a low mileage car with no launches on DRs or accidents. I have unbolted some motor mounts for MACs I had in there before and my mounts are still good. Just goes to show you how much tollerance there is in these cars. Really, when you think about it, it' s a $20K car, so she ain' t going to fit as tight as a BMW, MB, or Lexus.

Definately food for thought though when you are thinking about changing parts in general. There are always some sort of risks or compromises.

I' d do it again though.