Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totally dissapointed (headers)

Old 07-21-2006, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totally dissapointed (headers)

aright i just got my headers and ory installed today. let me say im so let down. i was under the impression that it was gonna be loud, thats the sound i wanted. i get it and its barely louder than before i got them on (cutout opened). i dont mean to bitch but i am frustrated. Than im driving away and the rattle was unbelievable. i expaected some rattle but this was from a stop, while rolling, wot, everything. Should this happen? Should i go back to the speed shop and have them fix it? anybody got advice? thanks.

and anybody else have headers, ory, and cutout not think its that loud? i dont.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

There must be only one of a couple things going on here:

1) You didn't get long tubes

2) You are deaf ( no offense of course )

There is no way you wouldn' t be able to tell a difference. It doesn' t sound like you changed your catback, so maybe I' m misunderstanding.

Again, no offense, but one should be able to tell a difference.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you were running a cutout both before and after the headers I can see where there wouldnt be a huge difference in volume. You should be happy with the performance gains you're getting from it, and the fact that the headers make it sound cleaner even if its not as loud as you want.

If you want it to be louder, take the catback off, run open y pipe. Its loud as ****, just dont sit in one place too long.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So your saying a basically stock exhaust with a cut out is basically as loud as open headers? (When the cut out is open too). I seriously doubt it. I have a cut out and I think its quiet. I expect my headers to be loud/mean as hell.......for a stock engine that is. I wanna throw in a stoked forged motor eventually.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Veteran

If you have !cats/ORY and a cutout there will be no difference in volume with stock exhaust manifolds vs LT's. BUT there will be a signifigant increase in HP/TQ thats why you go with headers right?
Old 07-21-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend said," It sounds like the devil is coming out of your car and trying to escape" with LTs/ORY/Cutout
Old 07-21-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tudds
My friend said," It sounds like the devil is coming out of your car and trying to escape" with LTs/ORY/Cutout
Thats what I was running until I caught a pothole. I just took everything after the Y pipe off until I can get my TD's on. You should try that for a couple days, if you like loud, you'll love it.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
So your saying a basically stock exhaust with a cut out is basically as loud as open headers? (When the cut out is open too). I seriously doubt it. I have a cut out and I think its quiet. I expect my headers to be loud/mean as hell.......for a stock engine that is. I wanna throw in a stoked forged motor eventually.
honestly, thats what i expected too. im exagerating little bit but not much. past 2000 rpms, theres a difference. not so much in volume just tone. its more raspy than deep. but i looked under and yes i did get longtubes. no im not deaf, no offense taken. but whoever said there isnt a big difference from stok + cutout to lts, ory + cutout is right. riding around town it sounds pretty much the same volume. and yea everyone was tellin me my ears would bleed at wot but i went wot and was thinking, "thats it?". and yes it is with stock catback, my hooker is coming soon but that i expect to be quiet.

but anyways, about that rattle, what should i do? take it back? anybody else have this problem? can i fix it?

thanks a million guys.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

What kind of rattle is it? Is it the Y pipe banging the heatshield under the car or what? Expand on that a little.

With the headers, you would have noticed a difference had you been running through a catback the entire time instead of a cutout. If you want something louder, dump the Y pipe, throw an X pipe on there and run TD's. That will be louder.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Odd... with LTs and gutted catted Y (if that makes sense) my friend's car with Corsa was ALMOST the same just putting around, at WOT, there was no mistaking it. My current setup with LTs and dumped duals, now that's loud. You want loud, just dump some duals IMO.

-J
Old 07-21-2006, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

yes thats exactly what it is, banging the heatshield. its resting on it!

but yea man im really close to just buying another cutout and throwing 2 on the y pipe, but i wont do that cuz from what i hear theres more power out of one than two.

but even with my one cutout, ory, and lts, do i gotta worry about it not having enough backpressure?

thanks guys
Old 07-21-2006, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

wait...heatshield? or crossmember? its the piece that looks like it can serve as a driveshaft safety loop but doesnt (bad example). the exhaust goes over it, it is bolted on the left side and the right side mounted horizontally if your driving...if that helps.

are there any catbacks besides LM that actually amplify the sound and are louder than open cutout? sorry if its stupid to ask. thanks again
Old 07-21-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

I helped a friend of mine install some Hooker LTs and TSP y pipe with no cats and cut out in the i-pipe. Well my car with LTs and just 12" extension piping over each collector is actually a bit louder than his.
-Joel
Old 07-21-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

actually it should be quite a bit louder going to an ORY, mainly because you dont have cats anymore, also if you left the stock muffler on there that is going to suck up ALOT of the sound your looking for, but if you want all out LOUD then get an SLP LM1 and I doubt you'll be saying its quiet anymore...
Old 07-21-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had magnaflow catback with cutout open before and no cats. Now-same with pacesetter LTS and TSP ORY. Threre was a BIG difference. I now we're not suppost to curse, but it's loud as ****!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a crapmaster before and after the LT swap. Mine got ALLOT louder with the swap. Its funny cause now, if the car is running, my 7 year old daughter wont come near the car without plugging her ears. ????
Old 07-21-2006, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

I won't even lie...I'm not impressed with the performance of the lt's (LT's/TSP catted y/stock cat-back w/ blowmaster muffler - hooker on the way)...and I am very sensitive to anything that is done to my car. Everyone was saying "you will notice a big difference"...all I notice are the vibrations and the other random no-supposed-to-be-there noises...I go WOT and the car feels like it's going to fall apart...

and the sound is not that much louder, but in my case deeper...I like the sound (when I can hear it over the vibrations) no complaints with the sound...
Old 07-22-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tylerz28ss
I won't even lie...I'm not impressed with the performance of the lt's (LT's/TSP catted y/stock cat-back w/ blowmaster muffler - hooker on the way)...and I am very sensitive to anything that is done to my car. Everyone was saying "you will notice a big difference"...all I notice are the vibrations and the other random no-supposed-to-be-there noises...I go WOT and the car feels like it's going to fall apart...

and the sound is not that much louder, but in my case deeper...I like the sound (when I can hear it over the vibrations) no complaints with the sound...
it's not that much louder because you still have cats.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

if you can barely tell the difference between ory/cutout versus stock manifolds/cats/cutout... go get your ears checked out.

seriously.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Pacesetter LT/ORY/B&B catback... nuff said

Search this Thread