Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow cat-back

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow cat-back

I got my magnaflow catback from tbyrnes group buy and its commin in this Tuesday and I plan on goin to the track Thursday. Thursday is my first day off this week so I wanna get up in the morning and do the catback install before I go to the track. so those of you that did your own installs about how long did it take?
Old 07-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro01
I got my magnaflow catback from tbyrnes group buy and its commin in this Tuesday and I plan on goin to the track Thursday. Thursday is my first day off this week so I wanna get up in the morning and do the catback install before I go to the track. so those of you that did your own installs about how long did it take?
Unless you have alot of experience, I found out when messing with exhaust, just bring it somewhere. They will get it done in a hour.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

It took me by myself about 3 hours on jacks stands and its easy, but if you have the rigth tools it should be easyer.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

I found that I had to cut the stock exhaust to get it out. May be different with you.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

ok.. dont use jackstands.. use ramps... or jack your car up then put something under the tires, and put a block of wood under the jack and jack it up more, cinder blocks work well if you dont have ramps.. use jack stands as an extra safety precaution.. SPRAY all bolts and where the y pipe meets the catback, and also the rubber piece that holds the left tail pipe up... if they are really rusted you can torch them to get the rust off.. TAKE a saw and cut the pipe that goes over the axle.. try to make the cut as high up as possible and on the muffler side.. THEN you can remove the whole muffler and tailpipe section as an assembly.. NEXT, loosen the bolt where the y pipe meets the catback, and slide the pipe off.. it might be stuck so you can use a hammer and chisel.. and now its off..

Now for the install.. Start at the y-pipe and work your way back.. DO NOT USE THE U CLAMPS, GO BUY BAND CLAMPS.. the u-clamps crush the pipe and will be a bitch to take off if you **** up or put something else on later.. AFTER you have the I-pipe on clamp it so it doesnt fall, then do the over the axle pipe that goes to the muffler.. bolt that to the I-pipe and also to the tabs... NOW, go back to the y-pipe tightening all band clamps until your back at the muffler.. tighten that and support it while you attach the left tailpipe.. Now everything should be hanging.. All you have to do is put the tailpipes how you want so they look right and fasten them to the muffler.. remember, ramps will make it easier because you will have 2x more work space..

You should be able to take the catback off in 30 minutes.. most of the time will be cutting the over the axle pipe, so have a sharp blade.. the rest is bolts...

Reinstall will take about an hour, give another half for adjusting the tailpipes..

Any problems, pm me
Old 07-22-2006, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Took about 3 hours for me to install mine also
Old 07-22-2006, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

awesome thanks for the replys guys
Old 07-23-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I concur with the 3 hour estimate. I cut my OEM exhaust off with a sawzall, and I had to make two cuts. I used jackstands as well.

Before you get going, check that all of the joints slip together well and are useable. I had trouble with the joint between the I pipe and over-axel pipe on mine where the joint was too tight and the pipes couldn't be assembled. I had to use my tailpipe expander to open up the joint to get them together, and I need to give that part some more attention. That was really my only hang up. Plan also to spend some time fine tuning the tailpipe fitment.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Took me an hour. There's nothing to installing a catback. Sawzall the stocker off and install the new one. It takes more time to cut the stocker off than installing the new catback.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Teching In

I placed an order as well. How did you find out when it was coming??
Old 07-24-2006, 08:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by saxd
Took me an hour. There's nothing to installing a catback. Sawzall the stocker off and install the new one. It takes more time to cut the stocker off than installing the new catback.
yup yup...same thing, by the way i'm selling my magnaflow if anyone is interested...2000 miles on it, still looks brand new, pm for info.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:14 AM
12 Second Club

Took me less than an hour but I had a lift and a couple extra pair of hands. It's an easy as pie install. I'd estimate maybe 2 hours max by yourself without a lift.