Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hose or tape to fix ory rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 02:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hose or tape to fix ory rattle?

I dunno if you read any of my other posts but i got a rattle where the ory is hitting the body...should iuse header wrap to fix the problem or stick a piece of radiator hose in there?

need opinions asap its getting pretty annoying (not to complain).

thanks guys
Old 07-23-2006, 08:46 AM
Launching!

i have this problem too. i've tried to bend the header/y pipe and that doesn't help. I guess you could put something in between the places that are rubbing. i would use the header rap b/c it gets pretty hot. let me know how that works out.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

I used heater hose and put header wrap around it for the heat, its working great so far.....
Old 07-23-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just shoved a piece of 3/4" heater hose between the body and the pipe and wrapped a hose clamp through it to keep it from coming off, no more rattles and it hasnt melted at all.

3$ worth of heater hose > 60$ motor mounts and 30$ mufflex bump stop
Old 07-23-2006, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chad2775
I used heater hose and put header wrap around it for the heat, its working great so far.....
so...wrap the actual hose itself with header wrap, and then tape it on the exhaust with more header wrap?

sounds fail proof to me
Old 07-23-2006, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

I put hose under my cat after trying to have the exhaust shop move it down a bit to no avail. Hose works fine IMO I've also heard someone welded a spring between they're y and bottom of car
Old 07-23-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RiPPinZ11
I dunno if you read any of my other posts but i got a rattle where the ory is hitting the body...should iuse header wrap to fix the problem or stick a piece of radiator hose in there?

need opinions asap its getting pretty annoying (not to complain).

thanks guys
Neither as both are dangerous ideas.

Header rap will soak up water and rust the pipes, plus header rap is a real fire hazard if it gets oil on it, and lets face most motors/gearboxes leak a bit of oil.

A rubber hose is not much safer in this respect.

Simple answer:

Buy poly motor AND tranny mounts along with the Mufflex Y pipe hanger. They are all available from Thunder Racing.

The poly mounts are a great mod regardless of exhaust setup and should be done on any performance orientated car.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

so...wrap the actual hose itself with header wrap, and then tape it on the exhaust with more header wrap?

sounds fail proof to me
Put the hose (cut down the middle) on the part of the frame where it might be hitting with header wrap or some type of hight heat wrap around the hose, just to keep it from getting to hot, and secure it to the frame or where ever it might me hitting. I didnt put anything on the Y-pipe itself, just on the body as a buffer between the pipes and car. I dont have the problem anymore, and the hose with wrap shows no sign of getting to hot. I check it weekly for now just to see if its doing okay, so far 3 weeks with alot of driving and its fine. Now before I did this I repositioned the y-pipe a couple of times until I didnt think I could get it any better.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton

Header rap will soak up water and rust the pipes, plus header rap is a real fire hazard if it gets oil on it, and lets face most motors/gearboxes leak a bit of oil.

Simple answer:

Buy poly motor AND tranny mounts along with the Mufflex Y pipe hanger. They are all available from Thunder Racing.

The poly mounts are a great mod regardless of exhaust setup and should be done on any performance orientated car.
I agree, what I did (above post) was a temp fix, your suggestion is a very good long term fix. Now with the hose and wrap getting soked with oil, well where I put mine is above the cat on tsp y-pipe, if I get oil back there then I have other problems. And I dont mean wrap it around the pipe, I attached to the car as a buffer between the two when it hits. But like I said, your fix is the best all around long term fix, I was giving suggestions on a short term.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

I put a old valve spring between my y-pipe and floor. I used 2 hose clamps put together to hold the spring to the pipe and put a piece of heater hose between the floor and the spring. I didn't want to weld it. The hose clamps hold the spring to the y-pipe almost as good.

I did order the mufflex bumpstop hanger, but after waiting two weeks of it being on back order, I had to resort to something else. I used parts I had lying around.

It's not a good idea to put a piece of hose right on the exhaust as the exhaust just gets too hot. I saw someone do it on a 1995-1998 style chevy truck and it started on fire. No damage was done to the truck as luckily a fire extinguisher was nearby.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

What about some of that thermo-tec heat barrier. I don't remember exactly what its called, but I believe its adhesive on one side and thick enough to wedge btwn the pipe and body.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think depending on the location the exhaust does not get THAT hot, I have had pieces of heater hose shoved between the floorboard and y for months and haven't had any problems. It shows no sign of melting... I checked it.

What is the heat tolerance for a piece of heater hose ? because if I remember correctly my temp gun was reading around 260* F on the pipe where the hose is.

I do have poly motor mounts and the bump stop but neither worked for me. I would rather not have the hose there if the poly trans mount would work, but I dont want to sacrifice any added vibrations if its not going to work.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

I put an exhaust rubber mount in between, ended up shaking my *** of all the time instead of just on WOT
Old 07-25-2006, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

will a new torque arm fix this? because that could be the first step i take in doin my suspension.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:23 AM
On The Tree

ttt??? im really close to just ordering sum wrap from jegs and throin it under there cuz its getting annoying. will it affect the knock sensor?
Old 07-30-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

will a new torque arm fix this? because that could be the first step i take in doin my suspension.
nope has nothing to do with it.

Simple answer:

Old 07-31-2006, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

nope has nothing to do with it.
oooo...i had read in a thread that a torque arm would fix it. ok tho. but if not tape or hose than what should i do? (other than cutting and re-welding). thanks
Old 08-01-2006, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

ttt 4 2nite
Old 08-01-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I went to autozone and bought the 2 thickest pieces of radiator hose I could find cut them up and wrapped them around the pipe where it was hitting then I bought some stainless steel bandclamps to hold the rubber pieces on, it still vibrates at around 1600-1800 rpms but it is about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times better than it was, cheap fix to a BASTARD problem
Old 08-02-2006, 12:01 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are going to use heater hose get the silicone heater hose, it is rated for high temps. I have used it to patch the air injection tube as it comes out of the side of the cat on 80`s cars. If it can stand being clamped to the cat and not melt, or even discolor then it should be just fine against exhaust pipe.

Quick Reply: hose or tape to fix ory rattle?