Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coated pacesetters and catted-y from TSP

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coated pacesetters and catted-y from TSP

coated pacesetter long tubes 375$

catted-y-pipe 300$

what else do i need for extensions, simulators and other hookups?

this is far less money then i thought i would have to spend!
Old 07-27-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The long tubes will come with the wires and crimps necessary to extend your O2 harness, but buying extension harnesses would be cleaner, less effort, and less prone to failure.

For the rear O2s, you can either forget 'em and live with the SES light (it'll have no effect on the performance of the engine), buy a pair of O2 simulators, or have the codes tuned out of your ECM. If you are planning on getting any tuning done after the headers are installed, that's the best route to go, because the tuner can remove those codes for no extra cost.

Other than that, you don't NEED anything else. Additional recommendations though would be to either get some new factory header gaskets, or some good aftermarket gaskets, as the gaskets that come with the pacesetters aren't very good. In fact, you'd probably be better of re-using the gaskets currently on the car than using the pacesetter gaskets. Plugs & wires are an easy swap to do during the header swap as well, but the value of doing so is dependant on the age of the car and how many miles are on it.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, just get the extensions, don't waste money on sims(just get the code deleted).

Use your stock gaskets if they are reusable. It will come with new header bolts.

Put them in & drive.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

I have the same set up and I am having issues with the y-pipe rattling against the chassis such that the engine is sensing the vibrations as knock and severly affecting my performance...so you may want to get the y-pipe bump stop from Thunder Racing...I haven't ordered mine yet, so I can't tell you how well they work...Then again, you may be fine without it.

Also if you are planning on upgrading your motor mounts at any time (I don't know if A4's have any issues with motor mounts like the M6 w/ crappy clutch does) now would be a good time...I'm learning that the hard way.

I hope things go better for you than they did for me (in terms of issues after installation)
Old 07-27-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

another for motor mounts while everything is ripped out. everyone loves them once their done. i have a poly trans mount and cant wait to do the rest.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

a tune is another 200$ or so right off the bat, no? if so i wont be able to afford that right away after the headers, so i'd probably have to buy the o2 sims. I wouldnt mind just dealing with the SES light except thats a no-go for inspections, which i want to be as close to 100% in the clear for as possible.

I'm pretty low mileage, around 50k on a 2000 z28.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

also anyone know of any places that can beat those prices? i know they are good but can't hurt to try to save a little more!
Old 07-27-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KC21386
also anyone know of any places that can beat those prices? i know they are good but can't hurt to try to save a little more!
The majoriy of our sponser will be right around the same price for pacesetter headers, but as far as I know TSP is the ONLY place you can get a catted Y pipe unless you fab one up yourself
Old 07-27-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

A tune is worth it. I picked up 24RWHP with my tune. Then got all the uneccessary crap deleted. Good luck