Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How restrictive is a CME exhaust on a camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How restrictive is a CME exhaust on a camaro SS

As the title states, i am going to be transplanting my motor in sig below and adding a magic stick 4 along with PRC ls6 heads and i absolutely love the CME exhaust that is on the SS my motor is going into. Looking at all the bends I cant help but think its extremely restrictive and seeing how i MAY be close to 450 rwhp will this exhaust hurt me? I know nothing about its flow rate as i am new to camaros. Thanks in advance for any input guys! PS: I am thinking of replacing the muffler with my hooker as i absolutley love its sound!

Last edited by DogNutz; 07-28-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

The SLP CME is just a DUAL/DUAL with different tips if I am not mistaken. The Dual/Dual flows well and is a pretty respectable exhaust. People who have headers and ORY use it too tone down their setup if they feel its too loud
Old 07-28-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The stock CME flows not much better than a regular stock catback. All aftermarket ones will out perform it, included the Flowmaster.

Easy fix is get a cut out.

Either that or get a custom exhaust made for the car using you existing CME tips. The bends really won't hurt flow or HP. The restriction is mostly i the muffler. I'm not certain of the pipe diameter, but I think it's probably 2.5" like a regualr catback. On the setup you are proposing this will be a restriction. 3" tubing is the minimal to look at.

As for the Hooker muffler, well they are large chambered types with a love/hate tone. You evidently love it so that fine However they don't flow as well as the bullet straight thru style mufflers. Just make sure the muffler you are using has the 3" inlet and not the 2.5" inlet. The sticky has a flow test of the 2.5" Hooker Aerochamber and it's pretty maxed out at 370bhp. You will be nearer 500bhp with your setup.

Lastly a custom dual setup utilising your CME tips is an option. Try the Dual sticky I think there's a good pic in there of such a setup.

EDIT: If it is a SLP Dual/Dual then I don't know. A few weeks back there was a dyno in the FI forum with someone using a CME and boost. It kept firing packing out the tips and it was reckoned that the exhaust was costing him 70-100rwhp!!!!! On a n/a setup it won't be as bad though, and they where running 15psi of turbo boost!
Old 07-28-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

300bhp/ton, I'm sorry, but this is one time where I respectfully disagree with you.

The Dual/Dual exhaust system that came stock on all the SS's with CME has been shown numerous times through flow testing, dynos, and personal experience to flow very well for a catback. Is it the absolute #1 in terms of muffler flow? Probably not. Will it outflow a true dual setup? Probably not. But to say that it is "not much better than a regular stock catback" would be false. The broad range of findings on this board, among many others over the past 6-8 years has found that the Dual/Dual exhaust is among some of the best catbacks in terms of flow. I think you forget that although it came stock on many F-bodies from SLP, it is still indeed an aftermarket 3'' stainless steel catback.

Although the tips and 90-degree bends would appear to be restrictive, they are at the rear of the exhaust, which has already passed the Y-pipe and muffler, which tend to be the most restrictive parts. As previously stated, it is a 3'' catback and should flow pretty damn well. I would not be running it on my car at the moment if it didn't flow among the best catbacks.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Whats up scotty z, i see you on the st louis f-body site all the time. I never post there but my friend here in columbia, wickedws6(he has the SOM WS6) does all the time! I'm gonna have to make it up to the lou some time when my car is done. Im actually coming up there next week for a small 3 day vacation to take my daughter to childrens hospital then go to six flags and what not. Thanks for chiming in on this, I too was thinking that it was an aftermarket exhaust and it def is 3' intermediary pipe. It looks sooooooo damn good i just cant see myself going with any other exhaust on a camaro, i was ready to do what ever it takes to keep it cuz it has it in the lower valance and all, its beautiful, just beautiful!

Last edited by DogNutz; 07-28-2006 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
300bhp/ton, I'm sorry, but this is one time where I respectfully disagree with you.

The Dual/Dual exhaust system that came stock on all the SS's with CME has been shown numerous times through flow testing, dynos, and personal experience to flow very well for a catback. Is it the absolute #1 in terms of muffler flow? Probably not. Will it outflow a true dual setup? Probably not. But to say that it is "not much better than a regular stock catback" would be false. The broad range of findings on this board, among many others over the past 6-8 years has found that the Dual/Dual exhaust is among some of the best catbacks in terms of flow. I think you forget that although it came stock on many F-bodies from SLP, it is still indeed an aftermarket 3'' stainless steel catback.

Although the tips and 90-degree bends would appear to be restrictive, they are at the rear of the exhaust, which has already passed the Y-pipe and muffler, which tend to be the most restrictive parts. As previously stated, it is a 3'' catback and should flow pretty damn well. I would not be running it on my car at the moment if it didn't flow among the best catbacks.
Amen to that. There was little to no difference when I switched from my stock SLP dual/dual to Corsa with 419 rwhp (as far as power goes)
Old 07-28-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
Amen to that. There was little to no difference when I switched from my stock SLP dual/dual to Corsa with 419 rwhp (as far as power goes)
What was the sound difference (tone and loudness) when switching from D/D to Corsa?
Old 07-28-2006, 08:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Louie83
What was the sound difference (tone and loudness) when switching from D/D to Corsa?
HUGE. Calling the difference night and day would be an understatement. With the dual/dual you wouldn't even think I had a cam. With the Corsa you could hear me coming from 3 miles away. The SLP had no interior drone and the Corsa has minimal drone, especially considering how ridiculously loud it is from outside the car. I would compare the sound of the dual/dual with a cam and headers to my brother's otherwise stock T/A with a magnaflow* muffler. Before the cam, it was very quiet at idle/cruising but enough to let you know it's got some ***** under WOT but still very tame. The Corsa has a very nice rumbly idle and has a slightly exotic/muscular scream at WOT that I think sounds amazing.

Last edited by 01bird58; 07-31-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:36 PM
11 Second Club

^^^Whoops, that was me. I didn't realize my brother was logged in.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's good info, thanks.

I'm trying to decide between DD and an ory versus GMMG with CATS. I think the GMMG sounds a lot closer to the Corsa than it does the DD, and it sounds like the Corsa sound is what I want.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why not just buy the corsa then...
Old 07-29-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
why not just buy the corsa then...
I didn't word that very well did I....

I was trying to gauge how loud (or quiet) the Dual/Dual with LT's would be. The way he described the extreme difference in loudness between the D/D and Corsa tells me that the D/D probably would not be quite loud enough for my tastes.

Last edited by Louie83; 07-29-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:39 PM

this stock cme flows very well it is one of the best flowing quite mufflers out there
Old 07-29-2006, 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

from what I hear they flow decent numbers, but more importantly, the CME exhuast looks badass!

Quick Reply: How restrictive is a CME exhaust on a camaro SS