Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Flowmaster w/ Hooker question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing Flowmaster w/ Hooker question

I currently have a Flowmaster cat-back on my car and was wanting something to replace it that is a little bit louder and has a more aggressive tone. I have a cutout that will be installed at the same time, but will only be used @ the track, and really want a good sounding muffler for the street. Let me know your opinions or if you have a better suggestion.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Personally, I'd probably just leave the Flowmaster catback and just put the cutout on the car. It won't be too loud for the street, and you can quieten it down by capping the cutout.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have a cutout, I would just leave the flowmaster. Thats what I did. Saves money for more mods. Heads, Cam and Gears being ordered tomorrow.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

The point of the thread was to see what muffler (Magnaflow, Borla, Hooker, Dynomax, etc.) would be the best to replace the Flowmaster with.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

I'd give magnaflow or borla a try
Old 08-02-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, I would say prob Magnaflow.

From what I have heard, the flowmaster is louder than the hooker, and LM2. Thats just from in person. The rest I dont know. But I am thinking of going Magnaflow as well. Good Luck
Old 08-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

none of them. they'll all be louder than the flowmaster. the only exhausts you have as a choice that will be louder and more agressive are the gmmg, loudmouth and borla and IMO borla sounds like **** and the gmmg and loudmouth will make the cutout practically useless and will sound similar on stock manifolds. i say keep the flowmaster catback, open the cutout for performance gains when you need to and if you ever get LT's switch to true duals.

hooker and magnaflow will be a considerable step down in agressiveness and loudness from flowmaster. flowmaster may be restrictive but it is definitely the most agressive muffler out there on stock manifolds.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

yea it will def be quieter, i have a hooker cat back sounds amazing at WOT no rasp at all, but cruising around is fairly quiet which is nice IMO, but im not building a racecar, its my daily driver.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Ditto on the Hooker. It has nice purr to it idling and around town. It gets louder - but definintely not open-pipe Harley loud - when you stand on it. I kind of wish I went a little louder, but this is my daily driver and I don't want to attract more attention/neighborly complaining than necessary.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in my experience and from hearing friends cars Hooker and Dynomax are the quieter ones but flow the best. so if your looking for a louder exhaust dont go with Hooker.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced the flowmaster with the Hooker on my previous car and loved it, no regrets!

With this car I just went with the Hooker right from the start. Now I do have LTs and an ORY, and I have always had that setup when I had the Hooker catback, so it might be toned down pretty good with manifolds/cats.