Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alt. Overdrive pulley, or new Optima battery?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alt. Overdrive pulley, or new Optima battery?

I have had the March u/d pulley on since April now, I have noticed that recently my battery gauge has been staying below 13. It looks like it is reading around 9-10 after I drive for a while. When I start the car up after it has set for a while, it reads around 14-15, then drops after a bit. I have a sub and amp, electric cutout, walbro 255 fuel pump, wideband a/f setup, and 2 gauges. My questions are:

Should I get the alternator overdrive pulley, thus pretty much cancel out the underdrive crank pulley purpose?

Get a stronger battery, like the optima, and see how that goes?

Or just leave it?

Thanks
Ben
Old 08-03-2006, 11:20 AM
10 Second Club

Ben,

Before I'd go with the larger alternator pulley, I'd go with an Optima Battery. I'm running a 25% underdriven Powerbond on my car (with an Optima redtop) without any charging issues at all (stock alternator pulley).

Alternatively, you may want to have a local AutoZone or the like test your alternator -this could be a sign that your alternator is on it's way out.

Good luck!

-Joey
Old 08-09-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having similar issues. With the motor off, the windows BARELY roll down and up. I've charged the battery too, same issues. My gauges reset everytime I start the car. But when I start the car, the windows go super fast. So maybe Optima batteries are crap after all.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get the alternator tested. Is it stock? Hell I have an ASP underdrive pulley and an aftermarket alternator with a "smaller" pulley and don't have charging issues with all accessories running. Alternator starts charging at 650 rpms (higher with the underdrive) though. I also bumped up my idle a bit.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Get the alternator tested. Is it stock? Hell I have an ASP underdrive pulley and an aftermarket alternator with a "smaller" pulley and don't have charging issues with all accessories running. Alternator starts charging at 650 rpms (higher with the underdrive) though. I also bumped up my idle a bit.
"Smaller" pulley would make the alternator spin faster thus producing more amps. Maybe that's what he needs to do.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Car_Guy
"Smaller" pulley would make the alternator spin faster thus producing more amps. Maybe that's what he needs to do.

Only problem with that is most aftermarket alternators need to see an 800 rpm idle and with and underdive crank you would need to set your idle around 900 like I did. Also the alternator would need to be setup for an underdrive pulley. It would fry a stock alternator in his case.

I went through all of this for awhile until finding the right amplifier.

I would get the alternator checked. Sounds like the voltage regulatoris going. Then check with Nate and www.excessiveamperage.com and ask him to make you a 200 amp alternator with the lower rpm turn on. That's the one I use now and it works great. It's around $275 I believe.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Get the Optima anyway, excellent mod and insurance against a needless tow.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same exact problem here and just replaced my failing battery with a red Optima. Still have the exact same problem. Voltage gauge starts out high and slowly drops below 10 on the gauge after driving a little while. Getting the alternator checked next and might pop for one of those high output jewels soon.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:55 AM
11 Second Club

I am having same exact problem. But I already replaced my Yellow Top with a brand new one. Replaced the alternator and installed a smaller pulley on the alternator.

:dunno:
Old 08-15-2006, 03:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's your idle at? A couple hundred more in rpm idle will have the altenator charging all the time.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
What's your idle at? A couple hundred more in rpm idle will have the altenator charging all the time.

Yep, I bumped my idle up but then again I have an aftermarket alternator with a much smaller pulley.

Quick Reply: Alt. Overdrive pulley, or new Optima battery?