Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!MAF guys what size fernco did you use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default !MAF guys what size fernco did you use?

I've been running speed density for a while now and decided to try and ditch the MAF completely. I found a thread from a month ago showing how one guy used a Fernco 4" coupling that came w/ 2 clamps and a plastic pvc piece he used from a dryer vent to replace the MAF:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...density+intake
Anyways, I can't find the pieces at HD, Lowes, or my local little guy hardware store to make this work. I'm using the stock flexible rubber piece only I flipped it around so the big end fits on the lid. The stock coupling necks down to 3.5" so I would need a 3.5" piece of pipe (about 2" long) to simulate a MAF and then a coupling going from the 3.5" outside diameter pipe to my 3.9" outside diameter stock TB. The 3" fernco coupling is only about 3.5" ID and there's no way it will fit over my TB. The 4" fernco coupling has about a 4.25" inside diam...way too big. Here's a crappy drawing to help explain. Those that have done this please chime in.

Last edited by Red99TA; 08-05-2006 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are taking out your maf and just need 1 tube to go from the lid to tb i think i heard someone say its the 3" hose from intakehoses.com
Old 08-05-2006, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey, that is my old post. Glad somebody is getting some use out of it.

I responded to your PM Red99. I did not realize you had a 3.9" diameter lid. What kind of lid is that? Most lids are 75mm or 85mm.

The thing you have to remember with this deal is that the intake lid is 75mm in diameter and the TB is about 98mm in diameter. You can't just slap a 3" piece in there, wont work on the TB, and likewise you cant throw a 4" piece in there cause it wont work on the lid.

If somebody wanted to spend some extra money, you could buy a silcone adapter like they use in turbo kits. It would work pretty good I wager, but they are not as cheap as what I did.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Launching!

you can leave the maf in and just not have it hooked up.

edit: and take the screens off too.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Try pep boys in the ricer section. They have all 3,3.5,and 4 inc pipe and couplers. They also have 4" to 3.5" silicone couplers.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stangmus
Try pep boys in the ricer section. They have all 3,3.5,and 4 inc pipe and couplers. They also have 4" to 3.5" silicone couplers.
I'll give that a shot. I just need a hose that about 3.5" ID on one end and 4" ID on the other. Maybe the ricer section will be worth something.

Zach11- the maf has been sitting in front of my TB unplugged for a while now. Having a straight pipe would remove all resistance to flow. Even if it's only a .5 rwhp gain it's worth it to me.