Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Motor Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Motor Questions

Didn't really know where to put this, I need to replace my Passenger window motor.. I know this is a common thing in the Fbodies. I have a 99 SS. I was wondering if everyone who has had to do this could provide me with some guidence and suggestions from things they learned the hard way. Thanks
Old 08-07-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Regular

Replace them both with good quality motors that come with a guarantee... i bought cheap ebay motors three months ago and I think im gonna need to replace them again soon. You will need an electric drill gun, various drill bits and the motors which will come with the necessary bolts.

THere should be a writeup on it right here...

WIndow Motor Replacement Slideshow

Ejoy
Old 08-07-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

search for the shoebox method
Old 08-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

I think the biggest thing is to not let the big coil spring unwind. You need to secure it to the "X" that it is attached to before removing the motor.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Autozone doesn't carry the Siemens motors anymore. They've been superceded by a Korean built "Dorman" motor if I'm not mistaken. Anyone know is these are good? Or let me know if the replacement from Advance Auto Parts is any good.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

If your for sure the motor is out,there is a thread that tells you how to open up the motor, snap off the thermal resistor (small peace of metal) and bypass it by soldering the connection that it was making. Just dont get your hand in the window once you re-install it. I did it and my window works better thatn any new one I could have bought. LINK BELOW

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html
Old 08-08-2006, 04:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice link. I'll have to check it out before I have to do my 2nd motor.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ddelallata
Autozone doesn't carry the Siemens motors anymore. They've been superceded by a Korean built "Dorman" motor if I'm not mistaken. Anyone know is these are good? Or let me know if the replacement from Advance Auto Parts is any good.

I just installed the dorman one in my car it is super quite..... works good so far.. man those things are a PITA... also found out that my track is messed up from the last time gm replaced it. going to have to figure some thing out...
Old 08-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Launching!

I attemped to install a new motor today... and all I managed to do is put 3 little scratches on the door panel near the window buttons ... I'm just going to pay to get this done, I don't have enough experience.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

I just replaced both my motors, It took me close to n hour to do the first one, but after u know how to do it ull see that its actually pretty eas