Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why does an ls6 make rear run lean

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default why does an ls6 make rear run lean

hey guys i wanna know whys the reason an ls6 manifold makes the rear cylinders run leaner then the rest?is it because of eliminating the rear coolant bypass? or cuase the design of it?how reliable will this be on a turbo ls1 daily driver around 500 rwhp?
Old 08-09-2006, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

I've heard #7 runs lean with an LS6 intake and that is usually the cylinder that goes when the motor goes. I don't know if the coolant lines have anything to do with it, but I'll watch this post because I am interested in hearing an answer.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default lean #7

Do a search on the 7 cylinder thing, I have seen a very detailed thread somewhere on here describing the reason behind the lean condition.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

cant u post it for me
Old 08-09-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

There are multiple reasons for the failure. First is design of ls6 routes more air to the #7, second is clogged up fuel injector back there and trash in fuel rail, and coolant line change for ls6. I was concerned about this so I ground down the bottom of the ls6 and left my ls1 coolant lines. I also cleaned the fuel rail and surprisingly did get some decent size chunks out. I also moved the injectors around. There is probably more but these are the ideas that I remember
Old 08-10-2006, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

so the fact u plug up the rear passages is one reason?so how much grinding will i have to do to reuse stock coolant lines.i will have billet fuel rails brand new so they will be clean along with new 60 lb injectors for my turbo build
Old 08-10-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Basically the bottom of the ls6 that has all the ribs are completely gone now. I taped the intake off real well and then took an orbital sander with some low grit paper to it. Took like 5 minutes. Some argue that the ribs are there for structural integrity but quite a few people have been doing it. I am sure it is not the best thing to do but I really do not feel like it is going to be an issue. Rear head cooling is always a nice thing to have, especially with the extra heat from a turbo set up you are planning on running, so I figured it was worth the gamble.