Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kooks headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kooks headers

i'm looking into geting headers! tell me anyones experience with kooks headers and ory. any input would be appreciated.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:10 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

They are badass. Thats all you need to know.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:32 AM
12 Second Club

They are badass. KOOKS and QTP's are the way to go, but if you are in a budget pacesetters are great aswell.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

the edelbrocks are nice too 1 3/4 steped to 1 7/8 and come with a HVMC for less then $500
Old 08-10-2006, 12:58 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kooks 1-7/8's are hell to install. I had to grind the **** out of the K-member for the passenger side, but it slid in without a hitch. For the driver side, I had to unbolt the driver motor mount pedestal completely, unbolt the passenger side almost completely, then jack the motor up untill the manifold hit the cowl.

Kooks y-pipes will ride higher than any on the market, they have a slightly crushed section that makes them fit awesome. Here's a pic of my 3" --> 4" ORY below.

The welds/bends/etc. are PERFECT though. I installed a set of 1-3/4" Kooks before and the driver side went in by just jacking up the motor a bit, didn't actually have to unbolt anything.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

Just installed a set of 1-3/4" Kooks this past weekend with there catted Y-pipe and I was very impressed with the quality of them. The passenger side slid right in but I had to jack up the motor a bit to get the drivers side in.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Banned

I didn't have to jack up the engine at all, removing the oil-filter did it for me.

They're nice headers, very high quality, really thick flanges, sound awesome, fit well, and make great power.

I would recommend a catted y though. ORY's sound like **** IMHO.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got QTP's i like them alot but theyre ORY blows *** i got maybe 3 inches ground clearnance... but my car is pretty low too soo
Old 08-10-2006, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lithium
They are badass. Thats all you need to know.

Here is my Kooks install thread -->

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/542503-kooks-lt-stainless-y-installed.html

Kooks headers are excellent. Now that I know that you have to jack up the drivers side of the motor a smidge, the install would have taken less time. Awesome headers and fitment of the catted Y. The clearence is superb. I can fit an ENTIRE pop can under my Y-pipe and it barely misses fitting under the cats. You get an ORY, it will fit everywhere. I highly recommend them.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SweeTbone

Here is my Kooks install thread -->

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542503

Kooks headers are excellent. Now that I know that you have to jack up the drivers side of the motor a smidge, the install would have taken less time. Awesome headers and fitment of the catted Y. The clearence is superb. I can fit an ENTIRE pop can under my Y-pipe and it barely misses fitting under the cats. You get an ORY, it will fit everywhere. I highly recommend them.

hey what did you gap the NGK's too???
Old 08-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Teching In

thanks for the input guys!! i'm going to bite the bullet and order the Kooks and ory. Seems like from what i've seen on the search this is a one time header ans sounds like it will outlive the car.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are good headers.

A reminder though, as with just about any header/y-pipe, be ready to deal with pipes banging the bottom of the car. The remedy for which, is a pair of Prothane motor mounts. Another way to help prevent the banging is to install a Mufflex bump-stop hanger. (I use both on my Camaro.)

Also, know that he poly motor mounts will transfer a bit more engine vibration to the chassis and interior. If you go this route you'll want to install the mounts while the headers are off the car.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

My 1 7/8 went in perfect. Almost fell out before we placed the bolts in
Old 08-10-2006, 11:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
hey what did you gap the NGK's too???
.055 gap.

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
They are good headers.

A reminder though, as with just about any header/y-pipe, be ready to deal with pipes banging the bottom of the car. The remedy for which, is a pair of Prothane motor mounts. Another way to help prevent the banging is to install a Mufflex bump-stop hanger. (I use both on my Camaro.)

Also, know that he poly motor mounts will transfer a bit more engine vibration to the chassis and interior. If you go this route you'll want to install the mounts while the headers are off the car.
No bangin' with the Kooks. I was ready for it to deal with it for a while, and not a peep from it. Then I see this in my install thread as linked to earlier...

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I like the way they bend their driver side section of the y-pipe so that it fits better. Kooks **** is the only stuff you don't need poly motor mounts on.
I thought doing motor mounts was going to be tricky. I didn't think I'd like the vibration, but was willing to sacrifice for not having a Y-pipe bang. I was kicking myself the day of the install for not getting some, because I was so sure it would bang and I'd have to get back under there and do them anyways. But the Kooks Y did NO BANGING WHATSOEVER. While I won't say with 100% that Kooks don't bang at all, as every application is different <-- (*Disclaimer), but there is a good chance that if you get Kooks, it won't bang.

Last edited by SweeTbone; 08-11-2006 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Spelling; Added quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:01 AM
FormerVendor

I put my 1-7/8" Kooks on while the engine and K-member were dropped from the car - thank God. It looked like it would have been a pain.

My Y-pipe bangs a bit, and I'll have to do Poly motor mounts soon or I'm gonna go nuts.

On another note - the quality is second to none.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:14 AM
That's what she said...

I had to flatten out that second bend in the Y pipe on the driver side leg too. It was hitting the body, so I just gave it a few good whacks with the negotiator and it was riding perfect.

Also, the 4" section was hitting the tranny tunnel, so I took it apart, and cut some meat off that center slip fit so it would go on farther. My best guess is this 3" to 4" y isn't very common, considering I'd never seen one or new they made one untill I started looking.