Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" True Duals too Big??

Old 08-09-2006, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3" True Duals too Big??

Soon I'm getting headers and true duals....I'd like go with the TSP true dual X pipe system, however, their true duals only come in 3". Would 3" be too big for a basically stock motor? The few Mods I have are listed in my sig.

This is my first LS1 so, maybe they can handle 3" inch. I'm just comparing it to my Chevelle which has a 461 big block (cam, ported heads, the works etc.) and that has 3" w/ 40 series Flowmaters.

I do eventually plan to add 3.73 gears, TSP torquer V.2 cam, Crane rockers, springs, pushrods. I was just concerned that the 3" duals might be too big and make the car slower. I hope I'm wrong because I know it'll sound Awesome!!
Old 08-10-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 1/2 in plenty big. 3" is a bitch to route over the axels and out the stock location if thats your goal. but if you are dumping them, then 3 " is fine, but 2 1/2 will still do the job unless you want big power
Old 08-10-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just look at how many people go cam only and even H/C with 3" y-pipes... a lot of people. And 2.5" duals will out flow a 3" y easily. If you ask me 3" with SI is wayy overkill. Your best bet is trying to find a shop that will give you a good price on fabbed 2.5 duals. If you happen to be in south Florida check out mad hatter mufflers- $300 fabbed and over the axle, can't beat that.

Search this Thread