Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone help me identify my intake and motor??

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can anyone help me identify my intake and motor??

Ok so long story short i bought a wrecked 01 Camaro, stripped out the motor tranny computer harness and complete interior, i'm swapping everything into my 88 IROC and a few of my firends noticed that is has 98 style vavle covers, i looked long and hard for an 01-02 motor and now i'm stressin that i have a 98.. Things that dont add up, there is no EGR which would indicate an 01-02 ls6 mani, however it has and 806 ID number on the head and 98 style covers like i said, anybody have any input for me?? Or any other ways to identify what year motor i have? I dont no if theres anything done to this motor, what about a 5.3L head, did they use the 98 style vavle cover bolt pattern? I'm wondering if this guy b4 me did a swap? I dont no why u would put a 98 cylinder head on an 01 motor, unless it is an 98 motor with an ls6 mani?? Thansk for the help!

Mike

Old 08-11-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look on the intake, post the p/n for the intake, also look at the coolant temp sensor (that brass sensor in the pic above) If it has three pins inside it, its from a 98. If it has 2 pins, its from a 99+
Old 08-11-2006, 08:56 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like a 98' motor with an LS6 intake. Notice the new front coolant tube? Only need that for an LS6. Look at the head bolts, the one in the bottom pic doesn't look like it's been installed by hand. You'd have to mark them to degree the bolts into place.

Can you find any numbers on the block? Do the heads have aftermarket valvesprings on them?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

98 Block. LS6 Intake.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

ok heres a few more pix, i checked the part number on the intake and it turns out thats from an 02 Fbody. As for the coolant sensor, it is a 2 prong? and also the valve springs, i took a pic, were the stock springs beehive styel? they look stock but i dont no if stockers were like that? lemme no what u think...

Mike