Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porting the header flange

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porting the header flange

Using my headers as an example, KooKs 1-7/8 Stainless Long Tubes.

Is there any need/advantage to try and port the header flange to better match the exhaust port on an aftermarket head?

And what about header gaskets and the ‘quench’ provided by different header gaskets? Any affect on performance?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best header gaskets if you don't already have a pair of steel ones are stock GM. Gentle porting should already have been done to your Kooks, QTP does this on theirs. Just make sure there isn't any stray extruding metal. You shouldn't invest money into porting them though.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:03 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need to port the headers. On old SBC SBF bullshit, you might need to, but not on LS1's. My Kooks 1-7/8's came touched up from Kooks, they are perfect right out of the box.

Quench deals with HEAD gaskets, not HEADER gaskets.

Quench is the distance between the flat portion of the piston and the flat portion of the head that's exposed to the combustion.

Example) If you run a .050" head gasket and your pistons come out of the hole .010", then you have a .040 quench.

Closer quench allows that section of the cylinder to stay cool during combustion and allows for more compression without running higher octane fuel.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input.

I completely understand ‘Quench’.

What I was talking about is the gap left by the header gasket. I just didn’t know if more of less space there would have any affect on the harmonics and flow of the exhaust port.

I haven’t checked it, but I would imagine that the steel type gaskets are somewhat different in thickness than the stock GM units.

Anyway, just a little splitting hairs, that’s all.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Porting the header flange