Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do i need to unplug the battery for these mods?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do i need to unplug the battery for these mods?

ok so i FINALLY got my slp lid in the mail and im gonna install it this weekend (my first mod ever). i'm also gonna cut out the bottom of the airbox for the FRA mod and install the fernco smooth bellows while im in there. my question is do i need to unplug the negative battery terminal while im doing these mods? i think i read somewhere that when you install air induction stuff it's important for the computer to "reset" so it can adjust to the new higher airflow. but i also remember hearing somewhere that if you unplug it, itl mess up the factory radio and i'll need some kind of special code to be able to use it again. is this true?
Old 08-11-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

the CPU will adjust by itself slightly to compensate for the extra air so you dont need to unhook the battery unless you are really careless and plan on touching the positive cable to a ground with a metal wrench
Old 08-11-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Regular

No it is not required to unhook the battery, more of just a recomendation or a best practice for any time work is being done on a car. Just do the mods. Yes the radio could lock if the original owner put in a code to lock the radio.
In college I had to do a "how to" project for a paper, so I did it on removing a battery and found myself listening to the engine and road noise after taking pics for the project. Mine locked. I took it to the dealership and got lucky a friend unlocked the radio for free, and made it so it would not lock again.
You picked a good mod to start with, good luck, and happy future mods.