Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passanger side cat glowing red hot after TC install

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Passanger side cat glowing red hot after TC install

I just got done installing a new torque converter in my car. First test drive it it drove great no problems. few hours later I went to the store and the car was running like *** it was missing really bad and did not want to accellerate.. SES light also started blinking.. When I got out I noticed that my passanger side cat was glowing red!

When I did the TC install I removed the Y-pipe which included the cats.. Any ideas??
Old 08-12-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

A blinking check engine light is usually a misfire indicator. I would assume something wrong on PASS side of the car. Did you have to play with any spark plugs or wires on that side?

John
Old 08-12-2006, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take the y-pipe back off and make sure nothing got stuck in the cat while you had it off.

Maybe some leaves or a rag.. or plastic bag.. or a cat.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:20 PM
12 Second Club

Maybe the cat just gave out
Old 08-12-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Cats dont glow for NO reason. Only reason is extra fuel. Cat might already be junk, but you need to find why the car was misfiring on that side of the car.

john
Old 08-12-2006, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ojustracing
A blinking check engine light is usually a misfire indicator. I would assume something wrong on PASS side of the car. Did you have to play with any spark plugs or wires on that side?

John
No that is why it seems really weird.. All I did was drop the tranny and re-install...
Old 08-13-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Hooked up my EFILive Scan tool and Bank 2 O2 LTFT was pegged at +25%. Bank 1 was hovering right around 0. I did remove the Pass side 02 when I pulled the tranny and a little tranny fliud got on it. I guess it destroyed the 02 sensor.. Went to the auto parts store got a new 02 and the car seems to be running fine now.. Although the left and right LTFT are about +/- 5% apart.. I suspect that may be becasue on is GM and new one is bousch. My only concern is that the cat may have gotten damaged when it got red hot..
Old 08-14-2006, 02:38 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lean will cause your exhaust to run smoking hot, which is exactly what a +25 LTFT means lol. I left a shim washer out from under the needle in the carb on my old MX 4-wheeler and the header would glow at the track because it was so lean. The bitch was AIR cooled too lol.

I would snag 2 Bosch 13111 sensors if I was you. Not sure which kind you're running now.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Lean will cause your exhaust to run smoking hot, which is exactly what a +25 LTFT means lol. I left a shim washer out from under the needle in the carb on my old MX 4-wheeler and the header would glow at the track because it was so lean. The bitch was AIR cooled too lol.

I would snag 2 Bosch 13111 sensors if I was you. Not sure which kind you're running now.
Car is running fine now.. The LTFT are actually within 1% now.. I ain't gonna spend anymore more money on narrow band O2.. I am gonna get some WB02s and go to a SD tune.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:29 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel_SS
I am gonna get some WB02s and go to a SD tune.

Glad to hear you got it fixed.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Car is running fine now.. The LTFT are actually within 1% now.. I ain't gonna spend anymore more money on narrow band O2.. I am gonna get some WB02s and go to a SD tune.
Yes, if you run OLSD, you never have to deal with NBO2's and MAF's again.
EFILive's COS3/COS5 allows you to run both hi and lo spark maps in OLSD, so you have all the benefits/protections.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Joel,

Glad you fixed it... Was it an air leak, and where was it...?

Edit: oh, ok, I see it was ATF spilled on the NBO2.

Cheers
Joe