Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before I do it? No not that! :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Before I do it? No not that! :)

Im going to get a pulley, but Im having some second thoughts about things Ive heard about them. Im getting either the ASP or SLP, whatever is cheaper. I like to have the A/C on once in a while and like to drive from Erie to Pittsburgh once in a while, basically when I get out of work I like to drive it on the streets and have fun, but I dont want to see power loss with my accessories. Should I worry about this? I only have had the AC on 5 times this year, so honestly what should I do. I wouldnt mind this mod cause its in my budget right now, I cant do too much this year and want this but I dont want it if its going to be more a pain in the butt mod than anything. So please help, I know we get a lot of pulley questions but I searched and didnt find what I was looking for. Thanks for your help.

Mike
Old 08-14-2006, 08:53 AM
10 Second Club

Won't affect your AC at all.....at least I never noticed any difference. The only complaint I've seen is A4 guys having som charging issues at idle. The M6 guys idle is a little higher so it doesn't affect them as much. I say...do it.

That Pittsburgh to Erie drive is pretty good. I grew up midway between the two.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does not effect my car at all.A/c is colder than ever and my alternator is charging fine,even with my bottle heater on.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jay_99z
Won't affect your AC at all.....at least I never noticed any difference. The only complaint I've seen is A4 guys having som charging issues at idle. The M6 guys idle is a little higher so it doesn't affect them as much. I say...do it.

That Pittsburgh to Erie drive is pretty good. I grew up midway between the two.
Sweet, thanks guys! I think Im going to go ahead and order it today. I have alot coming up and this mod was in my budget so I thought I could do something small this year. Any other thoughts or comments??

Jay where at did you grow up. I grew up living on that I-79 corridor from Erie to Pittsburgh and 422 and so on. I travel it a ton still, I love that road except in the winter time.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Smokin02WS6
Jay where at did you grow up. I grew up living on that I-79 corridor from Erie to Pittsburgh and 422 and so on. I travel it a ton still, I love that road except in the winter time.
I went to school at Brookville. Off I-80. Small town about 15 minutes from Clarion University if you know where that is. Been up and down 79 lots of times. One of my friends went to School in Pittsburgh and then moved to Erie for a while. I hear ya on the winter thing. I moved down here to get away from that. Still love it there in the summer though...

Good luck with the car man.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jay_99z
I went to school at Brookville. Off I-80. Small town about 15 minutes from Clarion University if you know where that is. Been up and down 79 lots of times. One of my friends went to School in Pittsburgh and then moved to Erie for a while. I hear ya on the winter thing. I moved down here to get away from that. Still love it there in the summer though...

Good luck with the car man.
Brookville?? Hell yeah Ive been through there millions of times. My father is originally from Punxsutawney and my Grandma still lives there. SO Ive been through there alot of times. Small world. Yeah I hear you on the winter part, my patients are starting to wear out on old man winter. As for the car, thanks, Im going to order the pulley tonight, what ever sponser has the cheapest asp or slp, thats where im going, either or. Keep in touch, nice meeting you.

Mike
Old 08-14-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it worth the frustration to spend 20 more dollars to get the alternator pulley? Tbyrne has the asp belts bolts, and alt pulley for 286. Should I do both or not worth it.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Smokin02WS6
Is it worth the frustration to spend 20 more dollars to get the alternator pulley? Tbyrne has the asp belts bolts, and alt pulley for 286. Should I do both or not worth it.

You don't need the overdrive alternator pulley. Hell I'm running the underdrive ASP pulley and an aftermarket alternator with a much "smaller" pulley than stock and don't have a problem. My idle is bumped a bit though. You should be fine with just the crank pulley.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say not to do either. The hp gain will not be worth the money/hassle.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the ASP & SLP are the same. SLP just puts their name on it & hikes up the price. It won't affect your A/C either. Good little bolt-on mod & chance to put new belts on.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

i thought the powerbond and slp where the same?? the asp is different, it doesnt have the taller side walls. but i think either is a good choice. i haven't had any trouble.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigti99a
i thought the powerbond and slp where the same?? the asp is different, it doesnt have the taller side walls. but i think either is a good choice. i haven't had any trouble.
I think the ASP has the taller side walls also. As far as I knew!

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
the ASP & SLP are the same. SLP just puts their name on it & hikes up the price. It won't affect your A/C either. Good little bolt-on mod & chance to put new belts on.
Yeah this is exactly what I was thinking Get some new belts on the car too. Ive been haveing some squeeky belts in the morning too once in a while. I hear you about the SLP thing too.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didnt like the slower powersteering. My 2 cents