Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beffy AC compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Beefy AC compressor?

Has anyone looked into an air conditioning system upgrade for their F-body? I'm thinking of the guage/vent conversion I want to do and the subsequent loss of airflow into the cabin. My Dad tells me of old land barges with 6cyl compressors that would absolutely freeze you out (obviously with R12 and relatively high paracitic losses). Any thoughts?

Last edited by A-man930; 08-15-2006 at 09:48 AM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 08-15-2006, 01:20 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy **** your sig quote rawks. I had forgotten about that. I had to google how to spell fava and chianti.

Not sure about the A/C, sounds a little un-needed. I've always wanted to relocate the a/c to the trunk like they do in old cars and use an electric compressor and what not. It would re-locate the weight, and still have the same cooling effect, which I need in texas pretty bad lol.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Man, when I ran across that, I just had to quote it!

Putting the system in the trunk... I don't know about you, but I don't recall there being a whole lot of room in the back of our cars. I guess it could be done, but I've got three amps to put back there already, and I'd probably put something else there before the AC system... battery, maybe a dry-sump reservoir??? (haha I wish). And remember, I'm going to be plugging up the three main vents in the dash with guages... the colder that AC, the better!
Old 08-16-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt...
Old 08-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Could you re-route your center dash vents to come out somewhere else? If you have the room to run a duct hose (2 1/2") from the factory center duct area to the console area you may be able to mount a vent where the tcs switch(or pocket) and lighter are. Vintage Air slyder series vents come to mind. They're pretty trick but cost alot. Or maybe a slim vent under an aftermarket radio.
Old 08-22-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

possibly... I could just re-route all the air to come out of the side vents... hmmmm