Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets play: What does this wire do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lets play: What does this wire do?

What is the little red wire that goes into the top of the alternator (on the back)

its a single small (like 18 guage or smaller) red wire and it goes into a plug on the top
Old 08-16-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't cut it!!! Your coils will explode!
Old 08-16-2006, 11:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

an auto shop pulled mine out and didn't know it, so when I started driving I drove for about 25 min. then my car just died, I pretty much ran all the juice out of the battery. but yea don't cut the wire, I think it has something to do with chargeing.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chewy99ws6
an auto shop pulled mine out and didn't know it, so when I started driving I drove for about 25 min. then my car just died, I pretty much ran all the juice out of the battery. but yea don't cut the wire, I think it has something to do with chargeing.
No thats what happened to me, I broke it and didnt notice. I wanna know what it does though, its too small to carry the power for the coils (i think??)
Old 08-17-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by camaroextra
What is the little red wire that goes into the top of the alternator (on the back)

its a single small (like 18 guage or smaller) red wire and it goes into a plug on the top
The smaller wire on the alternator is the power feed for the voltage regulator. It regulates the alternator output current by changing the strength of the magnetic field inside the case. If this wire is disconnected the alternator will spin but won't produce any current, and the car will run until the battery dies.