Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is a ported Throttle Body worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 06:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question When is a ported Throttle Body worth it?

I just bought a 1999 Z28 and it's 100% stock. I want to start modding it with the basics.

Would a ported throttle body be worth the money now or should I wait till I get more mods on the car?

Chris
Old 08-17-2006, 07:06 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a Ported TB is worth the money for a stock car all the way up to highy modified applications.

obviously, the more power the motor is making, the greater the benefit of a ported tb. Still, a ported tb is considered one of the "must-have's" for a bolt-on/mild car
Old 08-17-2006, 07:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No sense in porting your TB right now.You should start with a the Free Ram Air mod then get a lid/with a paper filter,then get a cutout or a CatBack exhaust then port your TB because you will have alot more air coming in with the FRA mod and lid.Then after that get LT headers and a off road y-pipe,but if you have emmissions the get a catted y-pipe this should start you off good.Good Luck.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:56 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02BEAST
No sense in porting your TB right now.You should start with a the Free Ram Air mod then get a lid/with a paper filter,then get a cutout or a CatBack exhaust then port your TB because you will have alot more air coming in with the FRA mod and lid.Then after that get LT headers and a off road y-pipe,but if you have emmissions the get a catted y-pipe this should start you off good.Good Luck.

Please don't go down the FRA road with me....it's not even 8:00am yet, and already it's starting back up again.....

Look, to the original poster: yes, if you want a ported tb, it WILL NOT HURT THE CAR, and will build rwhp. A lid would greatly benefit the usefullness of the throttle body, and the motor as a whole. Combined, a lid and ported tb would give you a noticeable kick in the pants and drop in et.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no reason not to port your TB. Do that and a good lid/filter and you'll notice a nice gain

Of course there are other things you can do as well but porting a TB on a stock car will still yield gains.