Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Exhaust Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Exhaust Gaskets

hey guys

I did a header swap last year, reused the stock headgaskets.

I never retightened the header bolts after I drove it for a bit...i know i know

well i've only put 1-2k miles on it IF that. But its been leaking pretty bad on the driverside in the back. I never noticed it until I put my MS3 cam in. I tightened the bolts, they were loose, but I'm pretty sure I got them all tight now and shes still leaking some

I can see some carbon build up or something on the very last exhaust port, well, on the gasket where it was blowing out

my question is---is the stock exhaust gasket shot now? I dunno why its still leaking. I only put a wrench on it and got it as tight as I could with my hand. I suppose I could take the coil packs off and see if I can get some more room to push.

If the stock gasket would happen to be shot, what should I replace it with?

I wanna get this fixed so I can spray
Old 08-21-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace it with the stock gasket again. Good stuff, but once they start leaking don't strip your heads by overtightening the bolts. Not worth it. I bought new stock gaskets twice and haven't reused them. Some guys do, but I don't like to.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't think i've got much torque on them since there isn't much room for my hand in there

i just dunno how the gaskets could go bad...i thought they were steel or something...i can't remember
Old 08-21-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are a steel/fiber sandwich looking material and they can burn out if they are leaking I would imagine. The passenger side seems to be the worse for me to tighten. Another thing you might check is the header bolt length. If the header flange is thinner than the stock manifold, the bolts might bottom out before compressing the gasket. Maybe try adding a thick washer under the bolt head.