Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow catback

Old 08-28-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow catback

Simple Queston: Would it be too loud on a camaro with LT's and ORY? This is a automatic Z-28 too so I don't want it being annoying but I am looking for a nice throaty sound, a tad louder than a Flowmaster American Thunder set-up. Opinions on this catback?
Old 08-28-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The sound you like I might hate...and vice versa. Best to listen to the set up you want in person, might find some comparisons at ls1sounds.com to give you an idea.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the MagnaFlow catback on my car right now but I do NOT have headers and off road y-pipe. I do however have MagnaFlow catback on my 2004 Silverado with 5.3 and I do have Stainless Works Longtubes with catted y-pipe and it does not sound bad. Very tame at idle and normal driving but screams when the "loud" pedal is pressed. I do have some clips at home that I could send or I could take more if need be. Let me know via PM or if anyone else wants some I am sure I could post somewhere. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

I have the Magnaflow catback as well and this soundclip made me decide to get longtubes and a ORY.
http://www.ls1sounds.com/magnaflow/m...S_titus-ss.wmv

I think that car sounds mean as hell
Old 08-28-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 0utlawTorn
I have the Magnaflow catback as well and this soundclip made me decide to get longtubes and a ORY.
http://www.ls1sounds.com/magnaflow/m...S_titus-ss.wmv

I think that car sounds mean as hell

That does sound badass! Wonder how much drone I'll have being an automatic though. But for the look, price and sound I think this is the one I'll go with. If it's too loud I'll throw a Dynatech powercat in there to quieten it down a little. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2006, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98-LS1
That does sound badass! Wonder how much drone I'll have being an automatic though. But for the look, price and sound I think this is the one I'll go with. If it's too loud I'll throw a Dynatech powercat in there to quieten it down a little. Thanks!
Considering how quiet the Magnaflow catback is, I doubt it's going to be too crazy with headers. I'm sure throwing a cat in would defintely tame it down a bit but I honestly don't think it will be too bad without cats. I will be ordering my headers and Y pipe this friday when I get paid along with new plugs and wires while I'm at it....I can't wait!
Old 08-28-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am thinking of getting the Magnaflow as well. Want better flow than the flowmaster, so if I want it loud, I just open the cutout.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

I got the magnaflow catback with longtubes, ORY, and a cam and I still think it's too quiet sometimes. It's loud enough at idle and WOT, but normal driving seems to be too quiet just sometimes. It was even quieter with a stock camshaft.

I don''t think you'll think it's too loud by any means.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Resident

I have Magnaflow with a stock Y pipe and exhaust manifolds and it does sound pretty mean at WOT. For some reason though, I hear it just fine at cruising speeds. I love the sound, very deep and throaty. You'll love every penny spent on it.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:58 PM
12 Second Club

Magnaflow = awesome.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 08-29-2006, 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies, it's on order right now from Summit! I can't wait till it's on the car.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies, it's on order right now from Summit! I can't wait till it's on the car.
Yikes man...order it from www.ls1speed.com
Free shipping and its only $419.99! I ordered my catback from them. Great service!

EDIT: Dang I just double checked Summits price....$454.95 and I believe they even charge for shipping. Cancel your order and go with ls1speed ASAP!
Old 08-29-2006, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That sound clip sounds almost identical to my car! I have different brand Lts and ory though so there's small differences. But you wondering how much drone there will be, there won't be drone, there will be alot of rasp from 2k - 3k. All my fellow mustang enthusiast friends call me a raspy bitch.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rob98LS1
That sound clip sounds almost identical to my car! I have different brand Lts and ory though so there's small differences. But you wondering how much drone there will be, there won't be drone, there will be alot of rasp from 2k - 3k. All my fellow mustang enthusiast friends call me a raspy bitch.
I wasn't a fan of the rasp but I think it sounds kinda old school/mean now
Old 08-29-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, that setup def. has some rasp. Sounds good when he's on it, but rasps when he lets off. Magnaflows seem to have a unique "pingy" sounding rasp when you let off. Not a bad thing if that is what you like I guess-They sound to me almost like you took a loudmouth and narrowed the pipe diameter.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yikes man...order it from www.ls1speed.com
Free shipping and its only $419.99! I ordered my catback from them. Great service!

EDIT: Dang I just double checked Summits price....$454.95 and I believe they even charge for shipping. Cancel your order and go with ls1speed ASAP!

damn I should've shopped around a little! Thanks for checking on that, I need to save every penny I can for other things. I'll give LS1 speed a call then, appreciate it!
Old 08-29-2006, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

damn I should've shopped around a little! Thanks for checking on that, I need to save every penny I can for other things. I'll give LS1 speed a call then, appreciate it!
No problem. They are good people and know their stuff.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:50 PM
Teching In

No problem. They are good people and know their stuff.
F That, I was just at Corvettes at Carlisle this past weekend and went by their booth. I told the guy there my tailpipe hanger weld broke off of the tailpipe and he proceeded to ask me where I bought the system, who installed it and how long ago it happened. After I told him I bought it from Byun Speed, had it installed at Creation Z (local shop) and it had only been on for 10 months his knowledgeable idea was take it back to the shop and have it welded. NO ****!!!! I never thought of that ! After I let the dude know what an idiot he was he said I could return the entire exhaust. ITS JUST A TAILPIPE. I told everyone in line not to waste their money and left with the guy cussing at my back. I hope that guy was just some local they hired to work the tent. Sorry for the rant.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hollywood 11
F That, I was just at Corvettes at Carlisle this past weekend and went by their booth. I told the guy there my tailpipe hanger weld broke off of the tailpipe and he proceeded to ask me where I bought the system, who installed it and how long ago it happened. After I told him I bought it from Byun Speed, had it installed at Creation Z (local shop) and it had only been on for 10 months his knowledgeable idea was take it back to the shop and have it welded. NO ****!!!! I never thought of that ! After I let the dude know what an idiot he was he said I could return the entire exhaust. ITS JUST A TAILPIPE. I told everyone in line not to waste their money and left with the guy cussing at my back. I hope that guy was just some local they hired to work the tent. Sorry for the rant.
Well what else were you expecting him to say? He stated the obvious answer. And he is right on one thing, you can't just return the tailpipe it would have to be the whole catback. I ran into a similar issue. A tailpipe was damaged on my Magnaflow catback during shipping by UPS ....I ended up calling Magnaflow about getting a replacement pipe and they said the whole catback would need to be sent back.

Last edited by 0utlawTorn; 08-29-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnaflow rocks, heres a clip of my car with 232/238 cam/mac mids/ory/magnaflow:

Search this Thread