Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lid Chipped, HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 03:36 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lid Chipped, HELP.

I have a TSP Carbon fiber Lid & it is chipped just slightly on the edge where it seals to the lower air box. Will this affect how my car performs? Am I losing HP because it is not sealed on that chipped spot?

Thanks guys!
Old 08-29-2006, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you might loose 1 hp. depends on how big the chip is but proably not enough to matter. find the piece that broke fof and glue it back on
Old 08-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Launching!

I doubt it will make any difference at all.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

id be more worried about unfiltered air getting in than the minimal hp loss
Old 08-30-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

Kripes How Big Is The Chip If Your Worried About Power Loss?
Old 08-30-2006, 11:17 AM
Launching!

If you worry about it so much just buy another one. There are tons of Lids out there new and used. Get a different one and stop worrying.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:08 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

I like the Carbon Fiber Lid & I have heard it is one of the best lids for HP. I am not saying it is. Just what I heard.

The chip is maybe 1/4 of a inch on the inside of the lid by the MAF & right on the inside corner by the neck that protrudes out to the MAF.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could epoxy it, just so you don't have unfiltered air coming in. I doubt it causes enough turbulance to lose power. It's also before the maf, so it doesn't affect power from that point either.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:20 PM
Tech Resident

i wouldn't recommend gluing it, even with epoxy. what if you suck that piece into your engine? i remember a guy on here expoy'd something to his throttle body and it got sucked into his engine. he was super lucky, however, as it never entered a cylinder. it was soooo close, though!

i wouldn't glue the piece if there's a chance it can get sucked into your engine. at this point, i'd say save up for a new lid, or if you bought it in the past year, see if you can get it replaced. it should have come with a 1 year warranty?
Old 08-30-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1bad93lx
I like the Carbon Fiber Lid & I have heard it is one of the best lids for HP. I am not saying it is. Just what I heard.

The chip is maybe 1/4 of a inch on the inside of the lid by the MAF & right on the inside corner by the neck that protrudes out to the MAF.
How is a lid that looks like it's make out of carbon fiber going to be worth more horsepower?

You should save up for a new lid. You don't want unfiltered air to get into the engine.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HeapaShifter
How is a lid that looks like it's make out of carbon fiber going to be worth more horsepower?

You should save up for a new lid. You don't want unfiltered air to get into the engine.
It's made out of carbon fiber............It's lighter......that saves weight and adds horsepower......DUH......lol Ha ha ha

I you can fix that easy. The clear part of carbon fiber is Epoxy Resin. Get some and just custom job it and seal all cracks and fill in chips. Sand back down to get back to perfect normal shape, if it dosn't look good rought it up a little and paint it.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i wouldn't recommend gluing it, even with epoxy. what if you suck that piece into your engine? i remember a guy on here expoy'd something to his throttle body and it got sucked into his engine. he was super lucky, however, as it never entered a cylinder. it was soooo close, though!

i wouldn't glue the piece if there's a chance it can get sucked into your engine. at this point, i'd say save up for a new lid, or if you bought it in the past year, see if you can get it replaced. it should have come with a 1 year warranty?
If he has the stock MAF, there is nothing to worry about. If somehow the piece managed to break off the MAF screen would catch it.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:18 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shallow Bay
If he has the stock MAF, there is nothing to worry about. If somehow the piece managed to break off the MAF screen would catch it.

My Mas Air is Descreened. So I think I will just have to buy a new lid
Old 08-30-2006, 03:18 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Shallow Bay
true, but now you have a piece of carbon fiber blocking the MAF. i still say get a new lid. "better safe than sorry" - it's a cheesy saying, but it's so true.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:20 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

I just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem, I didn't know how bad it was for my car. I think I can get away with this chipped lid till I can get a new one.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
true, but now you have a piece of carbon fiber blocking the MAF. i still say get a new lid. "better safe than sorry" - it's a cheesy saying, but it's so true.
I 2nd that
Old 08-30-2006, 06:52 PM
10 Second Club

dont bother getting a new lid, just put tape over it or something, if anything it adds hp because the air dosent have to go through the filter. its not like its a huge deal unless you drive down a gravel rod regularly